Raw Log - Sinon Sidequest 2

Sinon: 4 regular, 4 arcane xp

03[19:00] * jake (Mibbit@161D67C.F200AF3C.184D5AC1.IP) has joined #cfgames
[19:01] <jake> hi!
[19:01] <mranthropy> Hey!
[19:02] <jake> how was your weekend?
[19:02] <mranthropy> Pretty good. Had dinner with a few folks last night. Rodney and Nick who played in that band with Garron were there.
[19:02] <mranthropy> How bout yours?
[19:04] <jake> Oh wow, I know Nick. I see him every couple of years. Mine’s been pretty good – I made a pizza and marathoned The West Wing today. I’d never actually seen it all the way through when it was on TV.
[19:05] <mranthropy> I remember watching that for the first couple of years—was pretty good from what I remember.
[19:07] <jake> What’s impressed me is how it doesn’t really feel dated at all, even though everyone’s got these huge cell phones and it’s in 4:3. It’s much more like the kind of shows they make today in terms of the pacing and the number of ongoing plot threads and so forth
[19:08] <jake> ooh my coffee is ready. 1 sec and then we’ll rock
[19:08] <mranthropy> SOunds good.
[19:14] <jake> Ok! Last time, you had taken on the identity of Jordan Rhodes, a dissolute but wealthy youngster and scion of a family of Proximi who have made their fortune by being useful to the Awakened. He’d been invited to a Free Council gathering; the Guardians intercepted his invitation and sent you in his stead.
[19:16] <jake> There, you met TV star Jessica Price, aka “Valentina,” a Herald of the Consilium and local mover in the Free Council. She asked Jordan for financial backing if the Libertines decided to cut their ties with the larger Consilium and shared worries that the Guardians were operating against the well-being of Vancouver’s Mages.
[19:18] <jake> The conversation came to a somewhat abrupt end when she recognized an image of your shadow – the Sentinel Lefors – on a security feed. She believes Lefors was responsible for spiriting away a Profane Urim a group of Libertines had captured from a Seer Pylon.
[19:18] <jake> And now
[19:18] <mranthropy> (dun dun dun!)
[19:21] <jake> She’s standing up, motioning you to your feet. “Nobody’s opened a scrying window or anything…he probably just here keeping an eye on a libertine caucus. With luck he didn’t see you come in.” She calls two people over – a trim, muscular woman in black leather pants, a tank top and spiky blue hair, and a taller black man in jeans and a leather coat.
[19:23] <mranthropy> ‘Jordan’ bites his lip for a second. “Yeah, hopefully not. Still, it might be for the best if I got outta Dodge.”
[19:23] <jake> “Leonardo. Donatella. Mr. Rhodes here needs a discreet exit. Assume the building’s being watched.” They nod, and she turns to you. “I know this is all very sudden – take some time. You can get in touch with me by the usual channels.” She flashes a bright, dazzling smile, then waves you and your handlers off.
[19:25] <mranthropy> The faux-Californian sizes up the two new arrivals. “So Leonardo and Donatella, right? Are there a Raphael or Michaelangelo around here too?”
[19:28] <jake> They lead you backstage, through a door labeled STAFF ONLY. The tall man nods and speaks in a soft, deep voice. “Yeah. They’re back at the Sanctum, though.” The staff area of the club is unadorned and businesslike, with tarpaulins serving as makeshift dividers and sawdust on the floor. “You’re joking, but names have mystical significance…”
[19:31] <jake> Leonardo begins tracing symbols in the sawdust with the toe of his boot, staring intently. Donatella looks at you and smiles. “Don’t worry! Leo’s just drawing a quick circle for a teleportation spell. Where did you book your hotel?”
[19:31] <jake> (the Guardians got you a room in Jordan’s name at the local Hyatt)
[19:32] <mranthropy> “Downtown Hyatt.” Sinon examines the two mages, then the symbols—trying to make sure that this is on the up-and-up.
[19:33] <mranthropy> (So, Int + Occult to see if the symbols make sense?)
[19:33] <jake> (sure thing! or a social roll to see if their intentions seem honest)
[19:34] <mranthropy> (And Wits + Manip to read the two?)
[19:34] <mranthropy> Or Wits + Subterfuge?
[19:34] <jake> (wits plus subterfuge, yeah, or empathy, whichever’s higher)
[19:34] <mranthropy> 7d10h8
[19:34] <critical> MrAnthropy, 7d10h8: 0 [7d10h8=5,7,4,3,3,4,1]
[19:34] <mranthropy> (blargh!)
[19:35] <jake> (critical adds an interesting meta element to this game where you guys might just be weirdos who think you have magic powers)
[19:35] <mranthropy> (will still check out the symbols, spending a point of willpower this time)
[19:35] <mranthropy> 6d10h8
[19:35] <
critical> MrAnthropy, 6d10h8: 2 [6d10h8=4,7,9,8,7,5]
[19:37] <jake> Donatella is bustling around looking for something, and Leonardo is staring intently at the circle, so it’s hard to get a read on them, but the circle seems legitimate enough. It won’t set you on fire or anything. After a second, she makes a triumphant noise. “A-ha!” And returns bearing a black 3-ring binder.
[19:38] <jake> She pulls something out and hands it to Leonardo. He shows it to you – it’s a coaster with the Hyatt logo on it. “She collects these. For the sympathy, you see.”
02[19:38] * Spectrum (~nyoron@cloak-8F333632.socal.res.rr.com) Quit (Connection reset by peer)
[19:38] <mranthropy> Jordan nods. “That makes this stuff easier, right?”
[19:41] <jake> “Just so. You will appear inside a maintenance closet directly behind the hotel bar. It might be dark, but if you feel around about yay high” – he gestures – “there is a set of switches. Use the left one only, the right one turns on a particularly noisy fan.” He winces with some memory. “Are you ready?”
02[19:41] * Zand (~Zandracon@cloak-88F29F3C.lv.lv.cox.net) Quit (concrete.slashnet.org abstract.slashnet.org)
02[19:41] * Infidel (~infidelcloak-668FEDE.wp.shawcable.net) Quit (concrete.slashnet.org abstract.slashnet.org)
[19:43] <mranthropy> “As ready as I’ll ever be, I guess.” Jordan shrugs while looking a bit uncomfortable at the prospect of being teleported.
03[19:43] * Zand (~Zandracon@cloak-88F29F3C.lv.lv.cox.net) has joined #cfgames
03[19:43] * Infidel (~infidel@cloak-668FEDE.wp.shawcable.net) has joined #cfgames
03[19:43] * abstract.slashnet.org sets mode: ao Infidel Infidel
[19:44] <jake> Leonardo intones a few syllables in the High Speech and without any sensation at all – no whoosh or transition – you’re in the maintenance closet he described. The light is on and it smells very much like Clorox in here. Your foot brushes a stack of wet rags.
[19:45] <mranthropy> Sinon feels around for the switches Leonardo described, careful not to trigger the fan.
[19:48] <jake> Oh, the light’s on, so you’re good. From the other side of the closet door you can hear the tinkling of glasses and a hint of music, then a sudden SWOOSH as a large industrial dishwasher is switched on. This definitely seems like backstage at the Hilton bar.
[19:50] <mranthropy> Sinon opens the door and steps out, trying to think of a reason for having been in the closet…
03[19:51] * Spectrum (~nyoron@cloak-8F333632.socal.res.rr.com) has joined #cfgames
[19:55] <jake> The door opens onto a corridor that runs through the various backstage parts of the hotel – there’s a grotty-looking employee elevator across from you, a few unused drinks trolleys taking up space in the hall, and kitchen noises coming from a pair of swinging doors to your left. A second pair of doors with a big crash bar seems to lead to the pubic areas.
[19:55] <jake> er PUBLIC
[19:55] <jake> PUBLIC
[19:55] <jake> ahem
[19:56] <jake> A waiter hustles out of the kitchen with a tray and sees you. “Excuse me, sir? The bathrooms are back out here…”
[19:56] <jake> He seems way too busy to care very much about what you were doing.
[19:57] <mranthropy> “Oh, thanks. First time at the Hyatt.” Sinon follows the directions the waiter gives him and heads for the restroom. Once there he goes in to wash his hands and face.
[20:00] <jake> Ok! You seem to have made your “escape” from the Guardians. You’re cleaned up and in the Hilton hotel bar. What do you want to do next?
[20:03] <jake> As far as the Libertines know, Jordan made it back safe and sound. Lefors still thinks you’re at the club, of course.
[20:11] <mranthropy> (Okay. How far is it from the Hyatt back to the area of the club?)
[20:13] <jake> The club was in Burnaby, so about twenty, twenty-five minutes with good traffic.
[20:13] <mranthropy> Well his car is still there so…
[20:14] <jake> There’s a beep over the hotel intercom. “Page for Mr. Jordan Rhodes. Mr. Jordan Rhodes, at the front desk.”
[20:15] <mranthropy> Sinon heads over that way…
[20:17] <mranthropy> (Since we’ve had a scene change the magical portion of his disguise should be down…)
[20:18] <jake> The hotel lobby is sleek, ultramodern, and minimalist. The front desk is a solid black slab of what might be marble. The desk clerk is speaking to a pair of men in dark suits. You don’t recognize them. One is listening intently to the clerk, the other is turning slow circles in place and looking up and down at every corner and exit.
[20:18] <jake> (right)
[20:20] <mranthropy> Sinon pulls a pair of glasses out of his pocket and dons his eyes.
[20:20] <mranthropy> (Mind Mage sight)
[20:20] <mranthropy> 4d10h8
[20:20] <
critical> MrAnthropy, 4d10h8: 2 [4d10h8=8,4,5,8]
[20:23] <jake> Their mental aura is colored with the dark blue of suspicion and sparkles with flecks of golden light. Mages.
[20:25] <mranthropy> (Okay, casting Incognito Presence in order to blend better…)
[20:25] <mranthropy> 4d10h8
[20:25] <critical> MrAnthropy, 4d10h8: 1 [4d10h8=7,8,4,7]
[20:25] <jake> Also, the clerk’s aura is a bit dimmer than is normal for a Sleeper. He may be under some kind of mental enchantment.
[20:25] <jake> Okay! The second mage, the one checking the perimeter, passes his gaze over you and doesn’t seem to react at all.
[20:26] <mranthropy> (he does get a reflexive GNOSIS + MIND if he has a mental shield up)
[20:27] <jake> (he does not)
[20:27] <jake> You think these guys probably didn’t take many precautions, expecting a Sleepwalker as they were.
[20:29] <mranthropy> Sinon sits down in the lobby picking up a paper, pretending to read. He takes a moment to size the two mages up.
[20:29] <mranthropy> (wits + subterfuge)
[20:29] <mranthropy> 7d10h8
[20:29] <
critical> MrAnthropy, 7d10h8: 3 [7d10h8=2,2,9,5,3,8,8]
[20:29] <mranthropy> (assuming they are likely SEERS, but want to see how good they are at this)
[20:31] <jake> His read of them is that they intend some kind of mischief. The one who was dealing with the clerk is twitchy and sweaty, clearly frustrated that nobody seems to know where the diffident Sleepwalking punk is yet. A couple of times he exchanges terse words with the second, who nods but says little and continues slowly watching the comings and goings.
[20:32] <jake> Once or twice, the two of them gaze out the front windows and following their sightline shows you a long dark car idling on the circle drive.
[20:33] <jake> And something about them does scream Seer. It might be the clearly tailored suits or the heavy gold rings that both seem to sport on their pinkies.
[20:37] <mranthropy> (Is there a concierge here, separate from the front desk by any chance? or is there another clerk at the desk by the two?)
[20:39] <jake> There’s another clerk at the far end of the desk (about thirty feet), female, and seated, who seems to be occupied entering something on a computer.
[20:40] <jake> Nobody seems to be checking in at the moment so you assume she’s free.
[20:41] <mranthropy> Sinon checks his watch. He smirks for a single second and stands. He folds the newspaper under his left arm, puts his hands in his pockets and heads to the free clerk. “Uh, excuse me ma’am?”
[20:43] <jake> She looks up – she’s an Asian, wide-faced, maybe twenty-five or so. “Yes, sir?”
[20:46] <mranthropy> “Hi. I’m staying in 410. I was wondering if you could call a cab for me?” He pushes the glasses back up to the bridge of his nose with his right hand.
[20:47] <jake> “Of course, sir.” She picks up the phone next to her and speaks a few phrases into it. “It will be outside in just a moment. You can wait in here until it arrives if you like; I’ll make sure it doesn’t go anywhere.”
[20:50] <mranthropy> Sinon takes the opportunity to get a closer look at the two Seers, as well.
[20:53] <jake> Both are caucasian men. One is tall, middle-aged and somewhat dyspeptic-looking despite the quality of his clothing. He keeps touching a handkerchief to his sweaty forehead. The other is shorter and is either bald or has a shaved head; he has kind of sticky-out ears and a completely placid, serene expression.
[20:54] <jake> (the first one is Richard Jenkins, the other is Steve Buscemi)
[20:55] <mranthropy> (Ha!)
[20:56] <jake> You don’t recognize them from any briefings or previous encounters, but having studied them you can rattle off their salient features later if required
[20:56] <mranthropy> Sinon responds to the clerk: “Thanks, I think I’ll wait outside—I love the summer nights out here.”
[20:56] <mranthropy> He heads out the front door.
[20:56] <jake> She smiles. “Wonderful idea, sir. Enjoy.”
[20:57] <mranthropy> (Where is their car at?)
[20:58] <jake> It’s a couple cars ahead of your taxi in the circle drive. There’s your cab, then an SUV with a harried-looking father trying to get his brood to help him unload their luggage, then a sports car with a bored-looking woman filing her nails, and then their Lincoln Town Car.
[20:59] <jake> The Lincoln is idling and you can see the silhouette of a man in a sky cap in the front.
[21:01] <mranthropy> Sinon internally debates whether or not to cast a gremlins rote on the Seer sedan, but decides against it. He opens the door to to his cab and says “Burnaby.”
[21:03] <mranthropy> As he passes by he does make an attempt to ID the Lincoln’s driver, or at least his general features.
[21:03] <jake> Are you using magic or just trying to ID by mundane means?
[21:04] <mranthropy> Just mundane. I still have mage sight up, though.
[21:05] <jake> His face is an impassive, blandly handsome mask, and he has almost no discernable aura. Not Awakened, not anything. There are dogs and cats with more going on.
03[21:05] * Ell (Mibbit@cloak-7824DA7E.hsd1.tn.comcast.net) has joined #cfgames
[21:06] <ell> (I’d have been here like hours ago if I’d known)
[21:06] <mranthropy> “Urim.” Sinon thinks to himself as he passes by.
[21:07] <jake> you can make a wits plus occult check if you like
[21:07] <mranthropy> 4d10h8
[21:07] <+critical> MrAnthropy, 4d10h8: 1 [4d10h8=9,3,6,1]
[21:07] <jake> (Hi, Ell!)
[21:08] <mranthropy> (Hi!)
[21:10] <jake> You’ve heard rumors about “hollow ones” or “vessels” – programmable shells of meat that Seers use to take care of mundane tasks for them. They’re conditioned to perfectly accept Urim control, but in the interim can perform fairly simple tasks (like driving) with almost no conscious thought. Their origins are disputed; some say they’re made, others grown.
[21:12] <jake> So you’re heading back to your car in Burnaby?
[21:13] <mranthropy> (Yeah.)
[21:16] <jake> Ok! You arrive there twenty-five minutes later without any problems, leaving two presumably increasingly frustrated Seers behind you.
[21:16] <mranthropy> (I totes should’ve gremlin-ed their car too!)
[21:17] <jake> (I have said this to myself many times only about keyings I should have done :P )
[21:20] <mranthropy> Once he arrives he texts Jones a series of seemingly random letters, that translate into: “It’s done. Possible complications.”
[21:20] <jake> So your mission is accomplished – you’ve found out what the Council wanted Jordan for, planted a new asset in the Council, discovered something about one of your fellow Guardians, and found evidence of Seer activity. All that’s left is to decide what you want to do with all this information
[21:21] <jake> There’s a pause, then a text that indicates acknowledgment.
[21:23] <mranthropy> (So did Lefors know about the whole mission, or was he just told be waiting for a call/text, or do I not know one way or another?)
[21:24] <ell> (have you been following the monsterfarts game in CF jake? So good)
[21:26] <jake> (Lefors knew you were going into the meeting in disguise, although not the details. He was there as muscle in case something went wrong and you needed an extraction. Once you send the all-clear to Jones, she would tell him to clear out.)
[21:26] <jake> (I have not! what is a monsterfart?)
[21:26] <jake> (I mean, aside from the obvious)
[21:27] <ell> (monsterhearts)
[21:27] <ell> (It’s an apoc world thingy about sexy teen monster drama)
[21:28] <jake> (hahahaha, interesting! I’ll have a look)
[21:29] <ell> (peoples discussing it in #criticalfailures too)
[21:33] <jake> (testy test)
[21:33] <mranthropy> (sorry just went to get a drink of water)
[21:34] <jake> (oh, no worries, I just had two mibbit windows open and neither was moving so I assumed the worst)
[21:35] <ell> (yeah ditto)(
[21:40] <mranthropy> (Well the way I figure it, Sinon trusts the Vancouver GotV maybe one iota more than he trusts anyone else. He will, however, have to tell them at least some of the details. So the plan will be to express the fact that the FC appear to truly mistrust the guardians more than is typical and to sound out any opinions Jones might have about the other members of the Order. Of course, he probably doesn’t trust her that much eitherâ
[21:40] <mranthropy> especially since he knows her from back in the day.)
[21:41] <jake> Okay, cool. I know this is all a bit abstract right now but it is going to affect how things play out down the road
[21:41] <jake> Are you telling her about the Seers at all or keeping that close to the vest?
[21:41] <mranthropy> I will mention that the competition were sighted.
[21:42] <jake> In code, “What were they interested in? Were you seen?”
[21:46] <mranthropy> In code, back: “They wanted the proximus. I was not detected.”
[21:48] <jake> A pause. “Good. No action for now, but this will be worth following up on. Begin thinking of ways to bait competition. Just in case.”
[21:53] <jake> If there’s nothing else that needs done, that’s about it! The Guardians might be wanting you to run a sting on those Seers in the near future, and they’re going to follow up on the leads you gave them. You accomplished what you set out to find out and left basically zero traces
[21:53] <jake> in classic Guardian manner
[21:53] <mranthropy> (Of course!)
[21:54] <jake> Take four regular xp and another four arcane
[21:54] <mranthropy> (They may not be happy about having to funnel money to the FC, though…)
[21:54] <mranthropy> (rock!)
[21:55] <jake> (yeah Jordan may have to make a reappearance to back out of the deal at some point…)
[21:55] <jake> I’ve saved the raw chatlog to OP
[21:55] <mranthropy> (or he has a ton of trouble getting enough money…)
[21:56] <ell> wewt
[21:56] <mranthropy> cool.
[21:56] <jake> I just appended it to the end of the one for the first half
[21:56] <mranthropy> Only 5 more XP before the master plans begin…
[21:56] <mranthropy> Errr…
[21:56] <jake> hahahaha
[21:57] <mranthropy> Ell was not supposed to see that.
[21:57] <ell> :P
[21:57] <ell> so what have i missed these past couple weeks?
[21:58] <mranthropy> Was Thom fighting spirits and desc doing library research-y stuff?
[21:58] <jake> Sinon posed as a rich Proximi heir and met with the Free Council, who are unhappy with the Consilium and seeking an alternate revenue stream
[21:59] <jake> and Thom and Memo went out to the Squamish Indian territory and fought a spirit of cold that had killed a Sleeper
[21:59] <jake> I haven’t gotten any time with desc yet
[21:59] <jake> but normal service resumes Tuesday if that works for y’all! If not let me know asap
[22:00] <jake> you guys are where we left you, on the boat dock in Richmond, figuring out how to get to Gerard.
[22:00] <mranthropy> works for me
[22:01] <jake> rad, ok
[22:02] <ell> cool
[22:02] <ell> i think imma do some secretive worlding
[22:03] <jake> I think that sounds like a paln
[22:03] <jake> a plan even
[22:03] <mranthropy> I have been playing it too. It is much more fun when you do the investigative missions, I think…
[22:05] <mranthropy> anyway, I should head to bed or something. got rassin’ frassin’ work at 6 tomorrow.
[22:08] <mranthropy> g’night all.

Raw Log - Sinon Sidequest 2

At the Edge of All Things jacobkosh