Raw Log - Session 034

<jake2099>: Ok! Last time, the cabal and Pitch traveled to a bar on Granville Island in pursuit of his apparently ever-growing list of enemies. While there, some judicious use of Mage Sight, mind magic, and scrying revealed that Pitch was, at the time he met the mysterious “glasses girl” last Saturday, being stalked by a very wizardy-looking Mage.
<jake2099>: You also learned that before joining the Consilium and cutting his extracurricular ties, he had a regular client named Vendetta, a Seer woman with the Ministry of Mammon.
<jake2099>: As you guys have mostly been dealing with Paternoster, this comes as something of a surprise.
<jake2099>: (the Seers’ infighting is even worse than the Pentacle’s – they’re like the Sith in that respect)
<jake2099>: While at the bar, a scrying window opened above Pitch and BJ used quick thinking to cast some Space magic through it and determine its exact point of origin.
<jake2099>: Which happens to be an apartment complex in Victoria, BC – Seer Central.
<jake2099>: And that’s where we left off
<ppups>: i arrivwe
<ppups>: i see my plan of being logged in all the time
<ppups>: successfully disguised my absence
<jake2099>: treachery
<ppups>: oh shit i missed the Mammon thing!
<ppups>: that’s fascinating
<ppups>: i mean, blam blam blam, kill all seers, but still
<jake2099>: hahaha
<ell>: I now have 2 BW characters ready to go
<ppups>: justin i sent u a batsignal on penny arcade
<desc>: Eli was presumably oblivious to the scrying, being non-Space-oriented and musing over the vision of a moment ago. Seeing everyone jumping into action to reverse-scry jolts her.
<ell>: dessssc
<ppups>: your lack of response tells me that you care ot for your position of jake’s favorite forumer
<misteranthropy>: i just logged into PA.
<ppups>: and now is the time to strike to steal it
<ell>: Aurie was in a head
<ppups>: ohshi-
<ppups>: foiled again
<misteranthropy>: i have to be careful with posting.
<misteranthropy>: need to maintain the 3 awesome/post rate.
<ppups>: posting is a questionable activity
<ppups>: i would never engage
<thomamelas>: Is looking at the location, teeth grinding as he stares at it.
<ppups>: Goldman’s still out of the bar
<jake2099>: The window quickly snaps shut, but not before BJ has the fix on it.
<ppups>: I’ll have her re-enter in a second
<ppups>: I am completely discombobulated with physical logistics
<jake2099>: don’t be
<jake2099>: the others can catch you up on important stuff
<ppups>: sorry, i mean that I, Mike, am currently discombobulated with the phsyical logistics of my desc
<jake2099>: oh well yeah
<jake2099>: who isn’t
<ell>: “Mammon… not good Pitch, not good.”
<thomamelas>: “Pitch, how often did you go to Victoria?” Then back to grinding his teeth.
<jake2099>: “Never. I had my clients meet me on neutral ground. Like here,” he says.
<misteranthropy>: “No it’s not.” Sinon says off of Aurelia’s response.
<misteranthropy>: “Just how much does Dolph know about your activities? About our special club?”
<jake2099>: “He knows the basics. I don’t take him to, like, Consilium meetings or anything, but he’s got the bullet points. He used to be personal assistant to this old Libertine in Sacramento. The guy croaked and Dolph decided to run with me.”
<ell>: “He’s a sleepwalker then?”
<jake2099>: “Yeah. I guess he saw something way back when and kind of awoke but not quite.”
<desc>: Eli ponders such a state of existence.
<misteranthropy>: “What about names? Activities and interests that go with them? Would he have picked up anything from your meets?”
<ppups>: Goldman returns to the bar, grimacing as the latest song starts. She weaves her way back to the table and takes her seat next to Elithora.
<jake2099>: “A few faces and Shadow Names, sure. We had a lot of regular clients on the circuit. We didn’t go to anyone’s Sanctum and most of the really important dudes sent middlemen. I mean, maybe some of that stuff would be useful to someone, somehow, but I think if someone wants Dolph it’s cause they think he knows where the buried treasure is.”
<thomamelas>: “Or he went in on his own.”
<jake2099>: “Yeah, I guess there’s that. But, like, I dunno why he would.”
<jake2099>: He drums his fingers on the table in time with the music.
<misteranthropy>: “Now that you mention it, I think it’s time you stop lying to us regarding said treasure.”
<desc>: “The Seers have sufficient resources to make the selling of seemingly-trivial info compelling to some people.”
<jake2099>: Pitch stares at the Guardian for a moment. “…whaddaya mean, bro?”
<ppups>: (buried treasure?_
<ppups>: (drawing a complete blank)
<ppups>: (oblique reference to saguenay? Pitch’s rumored Tass stash?)
<ell>: “We can read your mind, Pitch. Don’t play us for fools.”
<misteranthropy>: (just a sec looking up log)
<thomamelas>: Reaches down as if scratching his ankle, checking his ankle holster.
<jake2099>: (yeah there are the rumors that Pitch has a giant Tass stash)
<misteranthropy>: " ‘I’ve got a little squirreled away for a, like, rainy day, sure.’ " Sinon air quotes back to the libertine.
<ppups>: (if u shoot pitch goldman will love you forever)
<jake2099>: Pitch frowns. “Yeah, I’ve got some stashed away. So what? Doe that mean it’s okay for people to like, stalk me for it?”
<misteranthropy>: “Some? It’s obvious that you either have none, or more than you could possibly manage.”
<ell>: (god gawker is terrible)
<jake2099>: “Well…yeah…it’s a decent amount, okay? But Dolph doesn’t know where it is. They’re gonna hurt him for nothing.”
<jake2099>: (yes it is/0
<ell>: “What do you mean okay? Pitch, there’s something I’ve always known about the world, but waking upo confirmed it for me and more. That is, the only rule that really matters in the end is power. And Mao was right. You have something other people want, and right now there are no real stuctures keeping them from taking it from you.”
<jake2099>: “Except all these, like, oaths and laws and banners and sigils that we make for ourselves. Those things just lies? Nobody care if some Seers kill me and take enough Tass to power…whatever? If that’s the case, shit, I’ll pack up and head to DC or England tomorrow.”
<misteranthropy>: “No our power is vast, but fragile.” Sinon says quietly. “It must wielded only when necessary and with the greatest responsibility.”
<ell>: “You think the Seers give a shit about any of that? Because that’s who all signs are pointing to right now.”
<misteranthropy>: “And Aurelia is right. The Seers don’t care.”
<ppups>: “Not to say getting out of town for a while is a bad idea, though.”
<ppups>: “I’m not sure it’s your best option, but it’s definitely something to consider.”
<desc>: “It’s not like the Seers don’t have their paws all over DC and England, too.”
<jake2099>: “So what’s with the third degree? Maybe you guys think I’m a fuck-up or whatever because I don’t spend my time plotting the perfect dress to wear to the big party to make some other guy feel like an asshole. Fine. I had a business, I got people what they needed, and now someone wants to take it all from me.
<jake2099>: Everyone looked down on me when I wasn’t part of the system. Now I am and what, I’m still a leper? Cause some guys want to kill me?”
<ppups>: “I’m sorry, what the fuck are you talking about? Getting down to brass tacks here, you asked for our help and we’re giving it to you. It’s a massive pain in the ass for us that offers no benefit, and we’re doing it. Are you seriously complaining about the tone of our questions?”
<thomamelas>: “Pitch, the nature of duty is reciprocal. I will do mine because I honor my oaths and by doing so make the Supernal world stronger. But I will not forget that on this day you have abused my sense of duty. You abused the right of hospitality. You lied to us as we attempt to aid you. So I will not just turn you over to the Seers. And while I do not speak for the rest of the cabal, do not seek
<thomamelas>: my aid ever again.”
<ppups>: Goldman nods to BJ. “I’m not sure I see things exactly the same way, but I’m not sure what option we have other than to ask questions and try to figure out what’s going on. If you’ve got some master plan and you need us to pull it off, go ahead and spit it out. Not saying we’ll do it, but if you don’t have any more ideas than we do, I’d worry less about the third degree and more about how
<ppups>: we’re going to save your ass and sour whatever deal the seers are cooking.”
<thomamelas>: “I will see this through. But I need to be better prepared.” Gets up. “Pitch do whatever you need to do. But I need to change and get better armed.”
<jake2099>: “Master plan? I want my friend back, man. I want whoever’s scrying on me to stop. I don’t have some kind of secret agenda. That’s the difference between me and most of the rest of…us.”
<ppups>: “Well we’re going to need a plan or an agenda, don’t you think?”
<ell>: Aurelia shrugs. “We’re all in on this now I guess, huh? Pitch, you need to give us details. Hiding stuff from us only makes everyone’s jobs harder. Let’s start with how much and where.”
<thomamelas>: Goes to go catch a cab back to the sanctum.
<ppups>: Goldman raises her empty glass toward Aurelia. “At the point where you’re trusting us to save you, you may as well trust us not to rip you off.”
<desc>: "So wait, who was just peering through the peep hole now? Was that the ninja turtles again?
<desc>: "
<jake2099>: (oh yeah, I don’t think BJ said who they were or where)
<ppups>: Goldman turns to Eli. “I guess I missed something while I was out?”
<thomamelas>: (I thought I showed Sinon?)
<jake2099>: (I might have missed that. anyway, let’s assume you all know, it’s easier that way. Desc, BJ doesn’t know who was doing it but he knows where, and the TMNT aren’t usually found in Victoria)
<ppups>: (at the end of the last session BJ said he can answer one of the six major questions; he knows where our seer is.
<ppups>: and then everyone ignored him.)
<jake2099>: Pitch shrugs. “There’s no one big stash. I’ve got a few on different islands in the straight, one on the UP in Michigan….all told it’s maybe a hundred, hundred and twenty five units. All disguised as different things, like rocks and shit.”
<ell>: Aurelia gawps “one hundred to one hundred twenty five? Gyah that’s a lot, Pitch. And they’re all around? What are you doing sitting on all of that dude?”
<ppups>: (let’s not assume goldman knows though because there was no opportunity for her to learn offscreen, even if we retcon)
<ppups>: (so desc u should answer me dogg)
<desc>: (yes I should b ut I couldn’t remember if we had clarified the seer at the end of the session so now my question is sort of nonsensical. fuck. tomorrow is session type up day 100%.)
<desc>: “Someone was opening a scrying window on us, and it must have been … well, presumably Dolph’s buyer or pal or mind controller or torturer or whomever.”
<jake2099>: Pitch shrugs. "I mean, that’s, like, the outcome of five years of doing this stuff. One or two dozen deals a month, with a small fee for myself, and it adds up. I was eventually gonna get myself set up somewhere where nobody knew me. I don’t really want ultimate power or the secrets of the universe.
<jake2099>: " I’d settle for a nice house somewhere where it ain’t fuckin’ raining all the time, you know?"
<ppups>: Goldman stares for a moment. “Okay, we should talk when all this is over.” She shakes her head in disbelief.
<jake2099>: Pitch shrugs and takes another gulp of his beer.
<ell>: "You should consider retiring. You could get a dozen houses in Phoenix if you wanted. I here they’re pretty cheap these days
<ell>: hear damnit
<ppups>: (shutupshutupshutup i might be able to hire this guy for cheap)
<jake2099>: “Phoenix? Nah, I don’t play canasta. I went to Rio once and that was kinda my speed.” He looks wistful.
<misteranthropy>: Sinon stands and leaves a tip on the table. “We’d best return home to discuss how we plan to handle things.”
<desc>: Eli lean back and rubs her eyes. “125 units. Hell.” She leans forward to frown at the stage. “So uh, did they have enough time to clearly scry us and sense where we are? Because someone knows we’re here and Pitch is here, if so.”
<ell>: “Yeah we should clear out.”
<jake2099>: Pitch nods. “Yeah, okay.”
<jake2099>: (back to the sanctum?)
<ppups>: (
nods*)
<jake2099>: Okay! You’ve returned to the Sanctum. It’s now nearly 9pm and the night is rainy and swaddled in a milky, neon-lit fog.
<jake2099>: Pitch goes to the kitchen and opens a bag of corn chips. “So, like…what are you guys thinking?”
<thomamelas>: Is already there waiting. Has changed into his more normal long sleeve shirt and tweed jacket, has a gitar case next to him and appears to be carefully putting things in it. Doesn’t speak as everyone comes in.
<desc>: “Well, I’
<desc>: m thinking that a lot of people are watching you and your pal is selling you out. But I can only speak for myself.”
<jake2099>: He nods. “M…maybe so. I don’t want to think that about Dolph, but…but maybe you’re right.”
<ell>: “Somebody has a strong sympathetic link on you. We’ve got to sever it.”
<jake2099>: He nods mutely.
<misteranthropy>: “That may be the reason they wanted Dolph in the first place.”
<ppups>: Goldman nods. “Does he know your real name?”
<thomamelas>: Closes the case and sets it near by. “Or we remove the reason he wants to find Pitch in the first place.”
<desc>: “What are you thinking?”
<jake2099>: Pitch frowns. “Dolph…might know my real name. I try to be careful but we’ve been in business for a while and sometimes we get lit up. Maybe he remembered something I said that I don’t.”
<jake2099>: There’s a beep at the front gate.
<desc>: Eli blurts out, “Oh hell.”
<thomamelas>: “We understand who to some degree. We understand how. And we know where as well as when. What seems straight forward. But we have no idea what why is.”
<ppups>: Goldman pulls her coin from her pocket, casting mage sight and shielding in quick succession.
<thomamelas>: Goes to answer the door.
<ell>: Aurelia Mind shields herself
<jake2099>: The gate camera shows a thin young man with long hair in a windbreaker and khakis. His posture is a bit odd, like he’s favoring a leg.
<jake2099>: He’s standing with one hand on a hip and looking expectantly at the gate camera.
<thomamelas>: Already has forces and prime armor up. Because he’s paranoid. “We have yet another guest. One who appears to be injured.” Buzzes him in.
<ppups>: Goldman looks from searcher to searcher, seeing how the others react.
<desc>: Eli hesitantly time shields herself, having never sufficiently internalized the habit as a reflex.
<jake2099>: The man walks through the front gate up the driveway to the door. There’s a knock.
<thomamelas>: Opens the door. “Hello.” Standing in the doorway, not inviting his person in.
<jake2099>: “I…” the man swallows, touching his throat with a surprised expression. “I’ll keep this quick. I’m an acquaintance of your guest. His friend is a guest of The Stranger. If you want him back, you’ll want this.” She presses a lock of blond hair into BJ’s hand.
<jake2099>: “If you go tonight, I can promise that your cabal will be able to enter and leave Victoria unmolested.”
<jake2099>: er HE presses
<jake2099>: ahem
<thomamelas>: “And what assurances do we have that this is not a trap?”
<jake2099>: “You know we’re not in the business of assurances. Suffice to say that I have as little interest as you in seeing Paternoster accrue even more power.”
<jake2099>: He fidgets, grabbing at the inseam of his pants with an uncomfortable expression. “Is there anything else? This body…itches.”
<thomamelas>: Looks to Sinon, raising an eyebrow.
<ell>: Aurelia is making a quick assessment of this man.
<ell>: 5d10h8
<critical>: Ell, 5d10h8: 1 [5d10h8=7,7,4,7,9]
<jake2099>: Ell, this person is clearly being ridden by Mind magic or a Profane Urim – and the wearer is uncomfortable with the chosen body
<ell>: Aurelia is identifying the spell with mind sight
<ell>: 5d10h8
<critical>: Ell, 5d10h8: 2 [5d10h8=3,8,9,2,3]
<jake2099>: it’s a Urim, all right
<ell>: can I dispel that?
<jake2099>: give it a shot. mind + gnosis
<jake2099>: 10d10h8
<critical>: jake2099, 10d10h8: 2 [10d10h8=4,3,5,3,4,2,8,5,2,9]
<ell>: or 5d10h8
<ell>: 5d10h8
<critical>: Ell, 5d10h8: 1 [5d10h8=6,5,[10,2],3,4]
<ell>: : (
<desc>: “Fuck this mind control stuff. It creeps me out.”
<ell>: shoulda WP’d
<jake2099>: The man’s face goes slack for a moment, then recovers. “Oh, we’re to that point already? Well, the offer stands. Ciao ciao.” His eyes roll back into his head and he flops to the ground.
<desc>: “Oh not … hell!”
<ell>: (jake we need more arcane xp opportunities pls)
<desc>: Eli kneels down to the victim who hopefully has not received a concussion. “Who even says ‘ciao ciao.’”
<misteranthropy>: “Vendetta, I presume?”
<jake2099>: (actually that was most of your first time encountering a Urim so that is an arcane beat added to the list)
<thomamelas>: “Sinon, can I speak with you a moment?”
<misteranthropy>: Sinon nods and tilts his head toward the kitchen.
<ell>: (oh fuck cindersssss)
<thomamelas>: Walks into the kitchen and waits for him.
<misteranthropy>: (i love that kevin conroy is voicing batman in this: http://io9.com/this-brief-clip-will-make-you-desperately-want-a-lois-l-969341579)
<misteranthropy>: Sinon follows.
<thomamelas>: “Setting aside the obvious trap aspect of this, it presents me with an issue. Assisting the Seer’s is a major violation of Arrow precepts. And if this is not a trap, then it is clearly one faction attacking another….”
<jake2099>: (ahaha that is fantastic)
<ppups>: Goldman looks at the hair with distaste. “This looks like a horrible idea. What’s to stop someone to use that thing to attack us? Or track us, or whatever?”
<ppups>: (with mage sight can i see if there’s a spell on the hair)
<misteranthropy>: “Yes. Mammon is an upstart Ministry, looking to unseat Paternoster, Praetorian or any of the other larger Seer sects.”
<misteranthropy>: “We would likely serve their interest while also giving the other Ministries us to blame.”
<jake2099>: (yes, unless it’s been concealed. but you can tell if it has the air of death on it)
<desc>: Eli gently slaps the urim-fellow’s cheek and frown. “Well. Huh.”
<ell>: Aurelia follows. “What other options do we have?”
<ppups>: (I have mage sight on do I see anything?)
<jake2099>: His eyes flutter and he looks at Elithora. “Oh, uh….uh….where am I?”
<thomamelas>: “Which leads to the question of if this will put me in violation of my oaths. I assume your order has run into simular situations….”
<jake2099>: (no, it looks clean)
<ell>: (srsly cinders posts those delicious things and now I’m really really hungry and its not fair)
<desc>: “Oh. Hi! You uh, you tripped outside on the sidewalk and smacked your head fairly hard. My friends thought they’d bring you inside to make sure you weren’t, uh, bleeding in your brain or anything. How do you feel?”
<jake2099>: He blinks a few times. “Uh…” he touches a hand to his head. “Not bad, actually. …Is that bad? That doesn’t mean I have a concussion or anything, right?”
<jake2099>: (ell that sandwich did look particularly tasty(
<ell>: (I KNOW and now i am dying)
<misteranthropy>: “I can’t speak to your obligations.” Sinon rubs his left temple. “They did give us one piece of information: Dolph is held by ‘The Stranger’ and said individual is beholden to Paternoster.”
<desc>: “Oh, that’s a good sign, I think. It means you probably have a thick skull.” Eli helps him to stand up.
<jake2099>: He chuckles. “That’s what my teachers say, too. Hey, I….” he looks around, peering out into the fog. “…man, I guess I don’t remembver what I was doing at all. Where is this? How far away is Richmond?”
<ell>: (ugh i can’t really get that sandwich imma just make some noodles i guess)
<desc>: “Oh! Hmm, you have a bit of a ways. You must have been in town for something. Maybe your memory is a bit scrambled by the fall. Be sure to stay awake for a while. They always say something about that, you know: don’t fall asleep right after you hit your head.”
<jake2099>: He grimaces. “Aw, man. Okay…uh…” he pats down his pants. “Oh good, at least I’ve got my phone. I’ll call a cab. Thanks for the help!” Bemused, he wanders to the curb and starts dialing.
<thomamelas>: Rubs his temple, having made a decision. “We should get back with the others and decide on a plan of action.”
<misteranthropy>: “We also know the identities of two other Paternoster agents…”
<ell>: “Who, Abbott and Costello?”
<misteranthropy>: Sinon nods.
<misteranthropy>: “Although, not knowing the Stranger’s place in the faction complicates that approach.”
<ppups>: (who is the stranger? has the audience met this august personage?)
<jake2099>: (you have not!)
<thomamelas>: (We saw him in the portal.) “Can we find out more about him?”
<jake2099>: ( http://www.listchallenges.com/npr-top-100-science-fiction-and-fantasy-books?ref=share )
<ppups>: (wow i have read 12 of the top 13)
<ppups>: (fuck GoT, i don’t have any interest in that series)
<jake2099>: (ur lossssss)
<misteranthropy>: (19 of first 20. Unless a series means reading all of them. Seriously, can’t stand Wheel of Time.)
<ppups>: (dude there is a 0% chance I would enjoy that series, we should discuss it sometime)
<ppups>: (I wouldn’t read WoT over again but it’s really amazing how much better it got once the author changed)
<ppups>: (I don’t regret it for that reason)
<jake2099>: (I didn’t count all of a series. I mean I read all of the Culture up to ~2007 or whatever so I feel that counts)
<misteranthropy>: (my wife disdained GoT, until I made her pay attention to the pilot of the TV show last week. I think she’s almost done with Season 2 and considering reading the books.)
<misteranthropy>: (and she is definitely not a fantasy person)
<thomamelas>: (17 of 20. Haven’t read Wheel of Time at all. I started GoT but didn’t finish. However I go 46 out of 50 with the top 50.)
<ppups>: (wow thoma that’s p great)
<ell>: (totes ur loss pups)
<thomamelas>: “So that leaves the question. Do we do this?”
<ppups>: (I loved the show through season 2 but i am done now)
<ppups>: (erryone i know says “hmm, knowing you? stop now.”)
<ell>: I’ll let you know when I’m done
<ppups>: (thomamelas hav eyou rejoined the others?)
<thomamelas>: (Yeah.)
<misteranthropy>: “Possibly. I don’t know how quickly, though.”
<ppups>: “I think we’d be insane to consider it. We should do it like the map… get Dolph back as simply as possible, and without making deals with anyone we don’t trust.”
<ell>: 16 of the top 20, only 32 of 100
<ell>: there are obvious ones that are in the category of “I’ve always meant to read” that I just haven’t : (
<thomamelas>: (86 out of 100 total)
<ell>: (jeez thom)
<ppups>: “More than one scrying window without an attack screams trap to me.”
<ell>: (stephenson is overrepresented imo)
<ell>: (and not nearly enough Gibson)
<thomamelas>: (Worked in a bookstore. I had libary loan privilages and I’m a natural speed reader. So I devoured a lot of books in my youth.)
<misteranthropy>: (more neil gaiman then i would put in the top 100. and i like his stuff.)
<thomamelas>: “Of course this is a trap. The question is do we risk it?”
<ell>: (Like, the bridge trilogy should be up there but isn’t, or at the very least Idoru)
<jake2099>: (agree)
<jake2099>: (and there is way too much “hot at the moment” stuff like sanderson where it’s just kind of like..okay, yeah, people are talking about this right now but I dunno if it belongs with Caves of Steel)
<ell>: (cooking so in and out)
<thomamelas>: (Golden age of Sci-fi is woefully under represented. No Damon Knight, no Harlan Ellison and so on.)
<misteranthropy>: (i’m sure there are plenty of authors sued by Ellison, though)
<ell>: (hahaha)
<jake2099>: ( )
<ppups>: Goldman pauses. “Maybe I’m not following, sorry. What’s the advantage of risking it? Why not throw the hair in a ditch and go after Dolph a few days from now?”
<ell>: (God I really need to read
<jake2099>: (yeah there could be more Knight, Sturgeon, del Rey etc etc. No Silverberg, no Poul Anderson….and too much Niven)
<thomamelas>: (Well that’s a given. Knight talked about Ellison in one of his books and apparently he was a bitter old man at 18.)
<ppups>: (stardust strikes me as super questionable)
<ell>: (Dune, Brave New World, Watchmen, Handmaid’s Tale)
<thomamelas>: “If he is simply a hostage then they will kill him.”
<desc>: “Yes. Well, probably make him some sort of hollow, misshapen puppet, but yes. We’re wholly on the receiving end of all of this, which is frustrating.”
<jake2099>: (neil gaiman’s books feel like browsing at hot topic to me. sandman had real edge. his novels feel really safe and whitebread)
<misteranthropy>: “That is the likely best case scenario.” He pauses. “Regardless, the sleepwalker has been compromised. A Seer with the proper attainment could turn him into their loyal agent without us being the wiser.”
<ppups>: Goldman’s silent for a moment, thinking.
<desc>: (Ramadan 4 lyfe)
<jake2099>: Pitch frowns. “I…I can’t just leave him to be turned into some /thing/.”
<misteranthropy>: (yeah Sandman is still the best thing he’s done. and I like American Gods, Neverwhere, Coraline, etc…)
<jake2099>: (I think I like Stardust and Coraline best. He’s got a great perspective for kids’ stuff)
<jake2099>: (of the novels I mean)
<ppups>: “If it’s not safe to wait, we don’t have a lot of time to do something outside the box. At that point I just don’t like our chances. There’s a million ways we could be dead before we knew something was up. On the other hand, since whoever controlled that sleeper knew where to find us, we’d be dead already if that’s what they wanted.”
<ppups>: “I don’t know what to think. Maybe I don’t have enough experience with this kind of thing.”
<ell>: “Dolph may well already be some thing.”
<jake2099>: Pitch shrugs. “I think she was on the level. She hates Paternoster. She was always lookin’ for a leg up on them. If they have some kind of plan that they need a bunch of Tass for, she’d want us to succeed.”
<misteranthropy>: “Here are the options as I see them: We take Vendetta’s offer and retrieve Dolph ourselves. Alternatively, two of us could attempt to impersonate Doolittle and Pinkerton and take him ‘officially’. Do we have any other ideas?”
<jake2099>: Pitch nods. “…Oh, a disguise? That’s a cool idea. I could, like, help cloak your resonance if you wanted to try that.”
<ell>: “We break in the hard way, do a snatch and leave .”
<ell>: “In any case Dolph isn’t safe, Pitch. It’s hard but you should end your relationship. I think a targeted edit might be in order. Sinon?”
<ppups>: “I suppose we could wait for another scrying attempt and be ready to portal to the other side,” suggests Goldman.
<misteranthropy>: (the hard way = use Space?)
<ppups>: Her tone makes it clear she’s not keen on the idea.
<ell>: (yep)
<thomamelas>: (Can any of us rip a hole in space big enough to walk through?)
<desc>: “So either we walk into the lion’s den or we kick down the door of the lion’s den. How I hate Seers.”
<ell>: “We shouldn’t stay here regardless, if they’re looking for us.”
<jake2099>: Pitch sighs. “Well…technically they’re looking for me. What if I like…divert their attention? Go somewhere else? Would that make it easier for the rest of you?”
<jake2099>: “Cause I don’t think they have sympathy to any of you. It’s me.”
<thomamelas>: “I can make arrangements for some protection if you are going to be bait.”
<ppups>: “Unless… Vendetta, I guess? missed the street signs I think it’s safe to assume this sanctum is no longer safe.”
<ell>: “You’re under our protection. If you want to go and leave our protection you are certainly able to. But I’m not suggesting that.”
<thomamelas>: “No, it simply means I need to adjust priorities to get more defensive spells layered here.”
<ell>: “Also we need to remove that knowledge from Vendetta”
<jake2099>: “From her,” Pitch says. “But she’s not gonna share with Paternoster. Their rivalry is like…as bad as you guys get sometimes? The Seers are way worse. It’s like one of those trust games where you can fuck the other guy except they have their finger on ‘fuck the other guy’ permanently.”
<desc>: Eli looks around the room, as if taking stock. “I like this place. I would hate to lose it. Let’s prioritize her lobotomy, regardless of the plan.”
<ell>: “Seers are Seers regardless.”
<thomamelas>: “One problem at a time Aur. We need to deal with The Stranger and Dolph first.”
<ppups>: Goldman starts to respond, then thinks better of it. “One thing at a time I guess.”
<misteranthropy>: “I agree with Blackjack.”
<thomamelas>: “I think we should try sneaking in rather then force. If we kick the door down…” tries to find a way that isn’t insulting to say this “you are not trained in how to clear a room. And that makes you dangerous in a bad way.”
<thomamelas>: Speaking the ladies.
<desc>: “Quite. I almost minored in smoke grenades but it clashed with my language requirements in undergrad. So two of us slip in undercover to free him with some plausible story, slip out …”
<misteranthropy>: (we can always do a version of the star wars gambit: call in the storm troopers, knock them out, dress up as them and take the others in as ‘captives’. what could go wrong?)
<thomamelas>: (Do you want the bullet points or the detailed list?)
<jake2099>: (hahahaha)
<thomamelas>: (All kidding aside, it might be our best plan.)
<desc>: (hmm)
<desc>: (we need the mage version of amoral private security forces for hire >_>)
<ell>: Aurelia shrugs. “Okay, BJ, Sinon, this is your forte. Call the shots.”
<misteranthropy>: “If we were to try sneaking, we could use Pitch to draw the dynamic duo out. A quick enough ambush could incapacitate them, or some of us could lead them on a chase. Aurelia and I could imitate them and ‘deliver’ Pitch to the Stranger.”
<ell>: “How am I supposed to look like one of those dudes? I’m not even close physically to either of them.”
<misteranthropy>: “I can take care of that.”
<misteranthropy>: “Although BJ could serve instead.”
<misteranthropy>: “The only reason I suggest the two of us is that the duo are Mastigos and Thyrsus.”
<ell>: Aurelia eyes BJ. “Can you act?”
<ppups>: “That seems important, actually,” offers Goldman.
<thomamelas>: Looks at her. “Not well.”
<ell>: Aurelia bites her lip and nods “Oh, all right. But… make it superficial okay? This is weird enough as is.”
<ell>: She looks pointedly at Sinon
<misteranthropy>: (as superficial as using Life to do this can be?)
<jake2099>: (heh)
<ell>: (I just don’t want to end up with a dick)
<ell>: (: P)
<misteranthropy>: (we could just try to change you into a dragon instead?)
<misteranthropy>: (i mean aside from making it even MORE vulgar)
<ell>: (A dragon?)
<jake2099>: (brb phoning deviantart)
<thomamelas>: (Once you go patriarchy, you never go back.)
<misteranthropy>: (i think non-existent creatures on someone else would require 6 dots, though)
<jake2099>: (hmmm I wonder if dodos count as non-existent creatures)
<jake2099>: (or other extinct species)
<jake2099>: (what if the mage didn’t know coelecanths were alive)
<ell>: (eh, I’ve been turned into a dragon before)
<desc>: (woah)
<desc>: (I have never carefully read the Life section. Turning someone even superficially into someone else is crazy.)
<misteranthropy>: (life is such a bad fit for a guardian. i can’t grow razor claws, regenerate, or say ‘bub’ a lot. stupid vulgar magic.)
<ppups>: (matter’s just about as bad)
<jake2099>: (you guys are more careful about vulgar magic than jut about any group I have read tell of)
<ell>: (Mind baby yeaaah)
<thomamelas>: (Extra muscle power for throwing a punch could be handy.)
MisterAnthropy>: (mind and fate be crazy)
<misteranthropy>: (psychic sword = dude keels over and everyone is just “guess he had an aneurysm”)
<ppups>: (right is right mr kosh >.<)><thomamelas>: (And as far as vulgar magic goes, on BJ’s to do list is a gun that uses the telekinetic strike when the trigger is pulled. I’m not saying I’m gonna abuse the potency…but dudes are going to go through walls.)
<jake2099>: (hahaha awesome! it’ll be like the end of a better tomorrow 2)
<jake2099>: (where dudes get shot and a wire yanks them across the length of the screen…in the direction the bullet came from)
<ppups>: (so it’s getting a little late, and i don’t feel like there will be a good curtain call for a while yet if we actually start this endeavor?)
<ppups>: (time to call it for tonight?)
<jake2099>: Yeah. We will ring the curtain for tonight and you guys can hatch schemes over this next week and then Tuesday will come the harrowing (possibly) climax!

Raw Log - Session 034

At the Edge of All Things jacobkosh