Raw Log - Session 025

<jake2099>: So! Last time, your cabal began investigating the aftermath of the events at the Seattle Athenaeum. With the building secured by the Sentinels, your cabal split up, with Aurelia and BJ staying behind to catalog what’s been recovered, while the others ported to Rattenbury’s house in Vancouver to be debriefed by the Councilors themselves.
<jake2099>: SPeaking to them, you learned that the unknown mage you’d found in the Athenaeum had been encountered before – by Rattenbury and Sacerdote’s cabal, decades earlier.
<jake2099>: (and IIRC that was pretty much it, it was a short night)
<jake2099>: So
<jake2099>: The gameplan for tonight is, I’d like to wrap up the immediate scenes – give you guys some time to finish up with the Councilors and figure out where your dudes stand now – and then advance the clock by a few days.
<ell>: I don’t think there’s anything further to say about cataloguing a warehouse full of artifacts
<misteranthropy>: (that works)
<jake2099>: yeah, that’s what I was thinking, Ell – the cataloging/organizing is going to proceed apace for at least a week
<jake2099>: Sinon, Elithora, Goldman – is there anything you guys want to bring up to the councilors?
<ppups>: and in the council chamber or whatever, they’d just told us the story
<ppups>: not sure there’s much more for us to do
<ppups>: i could bring up “what now?” i guess
<ppups>: for goldman
<jake2099>: that’s what I was thinking
<ell>: And transporting!
<ppups>: or we could handle it offscreen
<ppups>: or she could just tool around for a week
<misteranthropy>: Sinon is going to ask for a quick break and see if he can get a word with Sacerdote.
<ppups>: take care of moving to vancouver
<ell>: (note this is the perfect opportunity to get an artifact dudes)
<ppups>: switching jobs and stuff
<jake2099>: (hee ell)
<ppups>: and after a while be like “so…”
<thomamelas>: (Not gonna steal from the Mysterium.)
<desc20xx>: Eli’s chronology is getting a little wacky on sidequests and such but I would like to drop her Arche Initiation in if we have a week or so jump. I’d rather pin it on the timeline and then write or something this week maybe. It’s not really mechanically significant anyway. She has rank for it, near-deathed while saving an athenaeum, and ‘virva likes her.
<ell>: (you don’t have to steal! It could be on loan or a gift or somethin)
<ppups>: i’ve def been concerned about how we’re going to make goldman a part of the cabal… she didn’t really make a great first impression and i’d rather not shoehorn or handwave, you know?
<jake2099>: Sacerdote nods. “Of course, Sinon. I can spare a few moments. Gentlemen, ladies…” He bows to the other Councilors and motions Sinon to the patio adjacent to the drawing room.
<thomamelas>: Gonna need to talk Khatreallyneedtolearnhowtospellhisname.
<ppups>: maybe leaving it in limbo for another session could help?
<misteranthropy>: (Sinon may offer to speak up for in return for creative financing help!)
<jake2099>: ppups: right – I want to give you guys as much time to play that out as you think it needs. I don’t want to race past anything important like that
<desc20xx>: Eli nods politely to Sacerdote and Sinon.
<ppups>: not sure
<ppups>: (Goldman would totally take him up on that… maybe a 1×1 scene between us sometime)
<ppups>: Goldman addresses the remaining Councilors.
<ppups>: "I’ve got to say, when you guys knew something I was hoping for
<ppups>: (sec)
<misteranthropy>: Sinon follows the elder Guardian outside. “Epopt… thank you for taking the time. This is a sensitive matter, would you permit a silent conversation?” He motion to his temple with his right index and middle fingers.
<jake2099>: Sacerdote nods and gestures very slightly. /Go on./
<thomamelas>: Moving towards Khatsalano, waiting quietly for his attention.
<ppups>: “… I was hoping for something more useful than this having happened before. It seems like we still don’t really know anything.”
<ppups>: “I mean, though the timing is significant, we don’t even know if this man’s arrival had anything to do with what happened to Seattle!”
<ppups>: (wait BJ is here?)
<jake2099>: (yeah, thom? I Thought BJ was back at the warehouse)
<thomamelas>: (Nevermind, I thought we had jumpped a bit a head. My bad.)
<jake2099>: (he can portal there whenever, tho. Lefors and his circle are still at the warehouse)
<misteranthropy>: Sinon establishes a telepathic connection. /“This… mage… well, whatever it is we encountered. Is this why the Free Council believe we have stolen a Profane Urim?”
<thomamelas>: Goes looking for Friday.
<ppups>: (justin, what’s after the e in mage? it’s not rendering for me)
<misteranthropy>: ppups: Sinon establishes a telepathic connection. <"this…>
<jake2099>: Rattenbury smiles indulgently at Goldman. "There’s a very good reason why it seems like we don’t know anything, young lady – it’s because we don’t. And you’re absolutely correct; we can’t assume anything about him or Seattle yet. But now we can start trying to find out.
<jake2099>: " I have to confess, the possibility of answering some of these old questions…it pleases me."
<ppups>: (its not a glitch… that character doesn’t render)
<jake2099>: (weird. it was just an ellipsis. “this mage . . .”
<misteranthropy>: huh
<ppups>: (i’ll look into it if i have time… probably just need to reconfigure something)
<thomamelas>: (Justin’s didn’t render, Jacob’s did.)
<misteranthropy>: so did it show the second time?
<ppups>: no
<ell>: (just use three periods instead of an ellipsis)
<misteranthropy>: Sinon establishes a telepathic connection. “This mage. well, whatever it is we encountered. Is this why the Free Council believe we have stolen a Profane Urim?”
<misteranthropy>: (didn’t intend to type an an actual ellipsis)
<ppups>: Goldman hides her irritation. “Glad my friends could die to satisfy your curiosity, buddy,” she thinks.
<jake2099>: Sacerdote meets Sinon’s gaze. /No. The Urim is…secure../
<misteranthropy>: (1 beat for ‘Confront Sacerdote Re: Profane Urim’)
<jake2099>: (cool, ok!)
<ppups>: (okay can anyone think of a way a PU could be used for good?)
<jake2099>: (take over mortal slaves of the Seers, infiltrate their organization, etc.)
<thomamelas>: Wanders over to Friday. “So I was thinking of going Skydiving on Thursday…are you intrested?”
<jake2099>: Janis notices something in Goldman’s expression and goes to her. “I know it’s not very satisfying, after everything you must have been through this week, to hear ’we’re working on it.’” She casts a sidelong glance at Rattenbury. “But we will get to the bottom of this. I promise. In the meantime, what about you, Goldman? What are you going to do?”
<ell>: (<3><ppups>: (Janis is basically a boss)
<ppups>: Goldman sighs.
<ppups>: “I, uhh… I suppose I’d better move, I guess? I don’t want to be the only Mage in Seattle. I hadn’t thought much further ahead than that.”
<ppups>: (sec)
<jake2099>: Friday shakes her head, coming out of some momentary reverie. “….Skydiving?” She considers. “Sure, okay. No ‘fun runs’ that day, though. I’m going to be chewing half a pack of Dramamine anyway.”
<misteranthropy>: (gah!)
<misteranthropy>: (lost paragraphs twice!)
<jake2099>: (like, you hit enter and they just didn’t appear?)
<misteranthropy>: yeah
<jake2099>: (ugh, that is really weird)
<jake2099>: (stupid IRC)
<ell>: (forward slash is interpreted as a command. Don’t use it as punctuation)
<misteranthropy>: (true. forgot about that!)
<ell>: (like, it’s cool that we’re deciding on a special punctuation for telepathy, but / should not be it)
<misteranthropy>: (but that means it is in the command log!)
<ell>: (yep!)
<thomamelas>: “If you get motion sick we can avoid it.” Smiles at her. “It is not everyone’s cup of tea.”
<ppups>: (back)
<misteranthropy>: <you>
<jake2099>: Rattenbury looks up. “Yes. Yes, that is understandable. You’re more than welcome to stay in Vancouver for as long as you need. Volcker, our financial Herald, can set you up with whatever you require – paperwork and the like.”
<ppups>: (what does he mean by that)
<ppups>: (what paperwork woudl there be)
<jake2099>: (immigration documents for your sleeper life, that sort of thing)
<thomamelas>: (A visa. Maybe a new identy.)
<ell>: (immigration dude!)
<misteranthropy>: (fake resumes!)
<ppups>: (duh)
<ppups>: (d’oh, maybe?)
<desc20xx>: (hi shivahn)
<jake2099>: <lefors> Sacerdote’s expression is stern. <…hm.><shivahn>: (Hello!)
<jake2099>: (hey Shivahn!)
<shivahn>: (Hey!)
<thomamelas>: (Hey Shivahn.)
<ell>: (hi ho siobhan)
<ppups>: “I appreciate the offer, but I don’t anticipate many difficulties on that front. I’m pretty well established.” She reflects for a moment, then continues. “-in sleeper life, that is. I can’t say I relish starting fresh in Awakened Society.”
<shivahn>: (Heya Thom and Ell)
<ppups>: (how do social rolls work? I’m sitting here trying to come up with reasonably appropriate things to say but Goldman is way better at this than I am, right? 4 dots is like pro-tier socializing. Can I leverage that without anything specific I’m angling for?)
<misteranthropy>: <what> Sinon puts his hands in his pockets. <from>
<jake2099>: (if you don’t need or want anything, you can just let us know that “this is the gist of what Goldman says but she does it way better than me” or whatever, a roll isn’t necessary unless there are stakes)
<misteranthropy>: (err contacts)
<misteranthropy>: (giving things away, colloquy auto-speller.)
<ppups>: (okay)
<jake2099>: Rattenbury smiles warmly. “You aren’t alone there, young lady. Half of our population comes here from somewhere else.”
<jake2099>: Janis looks her up and down. “Yeah, what he said. So you do business or something?” looking at Goldman’s clothes.
<ppups>: Goldman looks down at herself and smiles. “Or something. I mostly move money around. A little cliche for a Moros, but it pays the bills.”
<jake2099>: Sacerdote nods thoughtfully. <it’s><jake2099>: (where is this person, ell?)
<ppups>: “Thank you.” Goldman takes a deep breath. “I’ve never dealt with anything like this before. Seattle was safe, as Mage cities go. I probably just need some time.”
<ell>: ( http://youtu.be/G6LY7TJ16pg )
<jake2099>: Minerva stands. “Pour me one as well,” she says in Sacerdote’s direction. She turns to the Searchers. “The next….ten days are going to be sleepless ones for me, I’m afraid. Would your cabal be willing to lend a hand to the recovery?”
<ppups>: She shakes her head, as if to clear it. “Keep moving, right? What’s next? A Cabal, huh? Don’t saddle me with new kids, alright?”
<ppups>: Hearing Minerva, “I could use a drink as well, actually. If that’s all right?”
<misteranthropy>: Sinon sits down next to Elithora. “Certainly, councilor. I can’t speak for all of us, but I do not doubt that our cabal is more than willing to serve in this time of need.”
<ppups>: She stands and makes herself a martini.
<desc20xx>: Elithora blinks, obviously not having really been listening closely. “Of course.”
<misteranthropy>: (‘i can ’t speak for us, but i will g ahead and do it anyway’)
<jake2099>: (heh)
<ppups>: (well i mean, what are the odds BJ is going to object to taking one for the team and doing what needs to be done)
<misteranthropy>: (that slacker!)
<ppups>: (getting no takers at 100 to 1… how about 250? do I hear 250?)
<ell>: (and Aurie is doing it anyway)
<thomamelas>: (He’ll accept a fait accompli. He won’t like it. But he’ll accept it.)
<ppups>: (wait, whaaaaaaa? Bj won’t like helping out with the recovery?)
<ppups>: (that’s all we’re talking about, right? Nobody’s said anything about Goldman joining the Searchers?)
<thomamelas>: (I meant more the we’ll take in the stray mage aspect.)
<thomamelas>: (BJ will pitch in for the clean up.)
<ppups>: (unless someone bites on the ‘new kids’ comment I’m rdy to fast forward)
<desc20xx>: (Eli will obviously head back to seattle for cataloging and taking pictures and whatever else is needed.)
<misteranthropy>: (me too)
<jake2099>: Okay!
<jake2099>: Rattenbury sighs and stands up . “I’m afraid we all have some sleepless nights ahead of us, Minerva. And to that end, I think we should be getting to work.” He looks at Goldman, Elithora, and Sinon. "Your cabal did well in a time where swift action was called for. It will not be forgotten.
<desc20xx>: Eli nods absently to Rattenbury. “Just doing our job.”
<jake2099>: “Goldman, you were right to come here and bring this to our attention, and anything this consilium can do to ease your transition, we will. You have my word.” He claps hands together. “If you’ll excuse us, myself and the other Councilors have to begin making plans.”
<ppups>: “Of course.” Goldman heads back outside, wondering how she’s going to get back to the noodle bar and pick up her car.
<jake2099>: Minerva smiles and takes a surprisingly long draw of her drink. “Elithora, dear, please take tomorrow off. You’ve earned it.”
<jake2099>: Sacerdote looks at Sinon from across the room. “Bring any details or requests to Jones.”
<misteranthropy>: Sinon nods back to the Epopt before heading out the door.
<jake2099>: Okay!
<desc20xx>: Elithora looks at Minerva with rather less than her usual composure and hesitates. “Sure. I … okay.”
<jake2099>: what next, guys?
<ell>: fast forward?
<ppups>: indeed
<thomamelas>: Yep
<desc20xx>: what is the next plan. the library needs to get processed. is there cabal biz? when do bj’s rings get done?
<thomamelas>: BJ’s rings need to be enchanted still.
<jake2099>: they’re still being made
<jake2099>: it’ll be a little while before they’re ready, although that’s coming up
<jake2099>: The next few days in Seattle are busy ones. Basically, the Athenaeum is under non-stop guard from a rotation of Arrow, Guardian, and Libertine volunteers, led by one or another of the Sentinels. Most of the Mysterium is on site cataloging the finds and readying them for transport.
<jake2099>: Are any of you guys involved in this?
<ell>: Aurelia definitely is. (and since it’s still ongoing, +1 beat)
<thomamelas>: Will be helping provide protection.
<ell>: Aurelia has been meticulous in her cataloguing, and growing increasingly incensed at the audacity of the event
<desc20xx>: Eli is all over the place, snapping cameraphone pics incessantly and barking at everyone to simultaneously hurry and be more precise, before conspicuously not being present for a day and being only intermittently present for a few days after. (BAM arche initiation)
<jake2099>: Thom, I think volunteering for this is in line with your orders to protect the Mystagogues. That would count for a beat
<ppups>: Goldman’s busy with her sleeper job
<thomamelas>: Cool. I’ll take the beat.
<ppups>: Having given her two weeks, she’s busier than usual wrapping things up
<misteranthropy>: Sinon is involved, but more in running down all of the dead mages and their histories—tracking down their homes and relatives, making sure that things best kept out of the hands of Sleepers stay that way.
<ell>: Aurelia has been in touch with Goldman and Quant and Volcker about Goldman’s immigration. Pulling some strings
<jake2099>: Many of the Guardians are involved in just that project, in fact. For obvious reasons, it’s no easy task (and could be good sidequest fodder at some point, if you wanted)
<misteranthropy>: (yeah, that would be cool)
<misteranthropy>: (1 beat: ‘Control the Spread of Secrets’, then?)
<jake2099>: (rad ok)
<jake2099>: (yep!)
<jake2099>: Ok!
<ppups>: Goldman wants to know what Volcker and Quant do for a living
<ppups>: talk shop
<ppups>: try to make friends
<thomamelas>: BJ has been grumpy. Stuck with a shitty Ford Escort as a rental car. But assisting with security.
<ppups>: (does BJ not have access to his family money? or does he refuse to access it?)
<jake2099>: Volcker specializes in money markets but retired and now works as a “consultant”
<ppups>: (why not rent a Cadillac)
<ppups>: Does he have contacts to find me a job in Vancouver
<thomamelas>: (He does. But hey, rental snafu. Even mages aren’t immune to paperwork screw ups.)
<jake2099>: Yes, he does. He moves in rarefied circles – like, first name basis with the mayor type stuff
<ppups>: yes I want to do that as well
<ppups>: :3
<misteranthropy>: (someone has to get the short end of fate mage’s probability manipulation)
<jake2099>: as a Herald, he’s basically the consilium’s ambassador to the white collar world
<ppups>: (man I can see why he is grumpy)
<ppups>: does the consilium want another one :3
<jake2099>: they might!
<jake2099>: and that leads to my next question
<jake2099>: what kind of job does he get Goldman? what’s she up to as a Sleeper these days? or does she even want to continue with a square job? he can set her up financially so she has modest means without having to work
<ppups>: No, she is definitely not interested in that. She loves having money. She doesn’t have any real relationships or anything in Sleeper life anymore (not that she had many before awakening)
<ppups>: , but she absolutely plays the game just as she did before awakening
<ppups>: She doesn’t care anymore, her ambition is all in mage circles, but she’s still trying to make oodles of money and gain status as a mover and shaker in financial circles
<ppups>: as a purely practical matter
<jake2099>: is she looking for something more or less like what she did before?
<ppups>: Yeah, that would be easiest
<ell>: Quant still plays the game too. She’s ex Wall Street, semi-retired in her words, and does statistical risk analysis in commodity futures for HSBC
<ppups>: btu anything involving high finance is probably fine, I guess?
<misteranthropy>: (oh god. Quant does the stuff I kinda do in real life.)
<jake2099>: NO SPECIFY THE EXACT TAX CODE AND DEPARTMENT SO I CAN ROLL ON THE CAREER CHART
<misteranthropy>: (which makes perfect sense)
<jake2099>: oh man had a 3.5 moment there
<jake2099>: whew
<ell>: (wow really? I had no idea)
ppups slowly puts the pistol back on his chair
<misteranthropy>: ("adventure? i want to run a potion shop!)
ppups eyes jake2099 warily
<jake2099>: good man ppups
<misteranthropy>: (well i have to do it half assed, because i work at a mid-sized bank. but i am all over quantitative risk stuff.)
<jake2099>: (it is interesting gaming with a bankonomist and a math MA who are both sleepy on a saturday morning)
<ell>: (it is telling that she considers a high paying job at one of the largest banks in the world “semi-retired”)
<jake2099>: (only working 60 hrs/week. ez mode)
<jake2099>: (brb obtaining drink!)
<ppups>: (yesss i like this woman)
<ell>: (also she totally clams up whenever Bear Stearns is mentioned)
<jake2099>: (ack hold on, I need to do some quick math. )
<ppups>: (i majored in that u know)
<thomamelas>: (Quick Math?)
<ppups>: (no it was very slow )
<ell>: (I majored in Bears)
<misteranthropy>: (they’re like giant dogs.)
<jake2099>: (hahaha)
<thomamelas>: (Thesis on the Glory of Ditka?)
<jake2099>: (bear major = is this an astronomy joke ell )
<desc20xx>: (… ohhhhh)
<ell>: (no, just an absurdist one)
<ppups>: (at my childhood chicago-hot-dog-stand in phoenix they had a picture of ditka flipping off the camera in the most disinterested way possible)
<jake2099>: (hahahaha)
<jake2099>: (surreality sent me a gif – MAJORLY NSFW if for some reason you are at work: )
<desc20xx>: I …
<jake2099>: yeah
<jake2099>: …yeah
<misteranthropy>: uhh
<misteranthropy>: huh
<thomamelas>: That is….something.
<ppups>: okay if he posted that one i the forums i would bet against his eventual return
<jake2099>: haha yeah
<jake2099>: Tube gave him a 60-day, it shouldn’t be more than a month now
<jake2099>: and then dog picture service will resume normall
<jake2099>: er normally
<thomamelas>: Okay, so we’ve got Goldman settled in?
<jake2099>: Well, Sleeper wise. She is still cabal-less since nobody raised the issue!
<jake2099>: But np np
<desc20xx>: she’s a little orphan ;_;
<ppups>: she’s not super eager to raise it… she doesn’t see the Searchers as a possibility at this point and she really wants to be cautious and get a cabal of people she’ll fit in with
<misteranthropy>: (Sinon might try to sell the cabal on letting her join. If only to have a financier outside of Volcker/Quant .)
<jake2099>: It is now Saturday, August 11th. BJ and Friday had a fun day of skydiving yesterday, which actually coincided with the end of the last shift at the Seattle Athenaeum. After four days of feverish work, the contents of the warehouse have been sorted, cataloged and moved to Vancouver
<ppups>: aka people she won’t feel she has to babysit
<jake2099>: That makes a lot of sense, given what Sinon is up to
<misteranthropy>: (yeah. and hey, if she wants dirt on anyone. it’s a fair trade, right? and all within the cabal.)
<ppups>: (lolwat)
<ppups>: (should Goldman spend the weekend in Vancouver)
<jake2099>: (I dunno!)
<jake2099>: (up to you!)
<ppups>: (we can say she does that if its convenient for story reasons)
<misteranthropy>: (sinon is setting up his own spy-ring/agents. he’ll need more money than what he ‘inherited’ from shaw. so goldman might be able to help. and if she needs info on anyone in town, then she knows who to ask?)
<ppups>: (lol inherited)
<jake2099>: Could Sinon have been making this case to Goldman this past week?
<misteranthropy>: (yeah.)
<ppups>: Goldman definitely liked the cut of Sinon’s jib in Seattle, she would be receptive.
<misteranthropy>: that would work. i just didn’t want to drag the scene with the councilors too long with BJ and aurelia on the sidelines.
<jake2099>: Well
<ppups>: Plus gaining advantage in Awakened Society is what money is for
<jake2099>: how about we begin with the cabal in the Sanctum on Saturday, and Sinon making his case for Goldman to them?
<ell>: sounds good to me
<jake2099>: Ok!
<thomamelas>: Works for me.
<ppups>: I’m fine with making the case but I won’t be surprised if it fails at this point
<jake2099>: It’s early Saturday afternoon at the Sanctum. What do we find everyone doing?
<desc20xx>: Eli is gardening again, but her usually focused gardening pace is a lot slower and she spaces out frequently.
<thomamelas>: Is playing piano. A cheerful little tune.
<ell>: Aurelia has Sabrina with her in the meditation room, and she is doing a deep thought reading to try and see how her memories escape.
<ell>: (arcane beat?)
<ppups>: (I love the idea of BJ playing a cheerful tune on the piano; for some reason that image really resonates)
<thomamelas>: He’s in a happy mood. He got to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. During a nice date. And his car should be fixed soon.
<jake2099>: Ell: yep!

Raw Log - Session 025

At the Edge of All Things jacobkosh