Raw Log - Session 022

[19:29] <ell> one day I will get a ticket to china and I will eat ALL THE PIE
01[19:29] <thomamelas> It’s pretty amazing pie.
[19:29] <ell> by which I mean I’ll prolly inherit an old gen ipad
01[19:30] <thomamelas> You probley could get an old junk Android phone pretty cheap.
[19:30] <ell> ew
[19:30] <ell> no
[19:30] <jake2099> hah
[19:30] <ell> phones are too small
[19:30] <ell> i couldn’t play a game on my phone
[19:30] <ell> trust me
[19:30] <ell> i’ve tried
[19:31] <misteranthropy> phones are too small for games. i got galaxy on fire, and it seems like a great little wing commander knock-off.
01[19:31] <thomamelas> Tiramasu or Choclate cake?
[19:31] <misteranthropy> but unplayable when the screen has to be used as controls too
[19:31] <jake2099> wing commander knock-off?? oooh
03[19:31] * ppups (~powerpupp@cloak-5E915BA0.hsd1.co.comcast.net) has joined #cfgames
01[19:31] <thomamelas> And I have a Galaxy SII. My phone is plenty big enough for games.
[19:31] <jake2099> tiramisu!
[19:31] <ppups> hey sorry to be late
01[19:31] <thomamelas> And surfing. Like in the ocean.
[19:31] <ppups> caught up at work
[19:32] <misteranthropy> psh
[19:32] <misteranthropy> work
[19:32] <ppups> yeah
[19:32] <ppups> iknorite
[19:32] <ell> i have sim ish with handhelds
[19:32] <desc> I picked up galaxy on fire 2 HD for the ipad and it seems good. I played it on phone back when for a while and remember digging it.
[19:33] <jake2099> puppies!
01[19:33] <thomamelas> Grubhub is love.
[19:33] <jake2099> I need to experiment with this grubhub business sometime
[19:33] <misteranthropy> i now see they offer it for iPad and mac, so i may pick it up
[19:33] <jake2099> step one: find out if they exist in KC
[19:34] <misteranthropy> https://www.grubhub.com/search/64114/
[19:34] <misteranthropy> that should be close to you, jake
01[19:34] <thomamelas> I have no idea. But they give me free food from time to time.
[19:34] <misteranthropy> get five guys delivered?
06[19:34] * MisterAnthropy shrugs.
[19:35] <jake2099> innnnnteresting!
[19:36] <jake2099> I think The Stack is the old Smoke Stack BBQ, the original version of Jack Stack before that guy’s side of the family broke off
[19:36] <jake2099> SMoke Stack had all the Jack Stack recipes but at like sixty percent of the price
[19:37] <ell> barbecue families exist
[19:37] <ell> like the Neelys
[19:37] <jake2099> yeah it’s always been one of those things
[19:38] <jake2099> every big bbq restaurant in KC is part of someone’s dynasty
[19:38] <jake2099> So!
[19:38] <jake2099> last time
[19:40] <jake2099> you guys met Goldman for (for most of you) the first time, and she told you about the disaster that has befallen Seattle – every mage in the city’s borders dropped dead less than a week ago, apparently all at the same time, and nobody knows why.
[19:40] <jake2099> After debating what to do, you guys set out to recover their Athenaeum – but upon reaching the border, you learned that the Seers also have designs on it – and the race is on!
[19:41] <ppups> well, hold on
[19:41] <ppups> the race isn’t THAT on
[19:41] <ppups> as I recall, we see them getting into their car
[19:41] <ppups> to drive off away from the border
[19:41] <jake2099> well yes
[19:41] <ppups> and aurelia starts to make a call
[19:41] <jake2099> they have somewhat of a head start
[19:41] <ppups> but we haven’t handled car Eli’s reaction
[19:41] <ppups> well they are in sight, right?
[19:42] <ppups> i mean, we’re in a car, we see their car, nobody’s looking at us yet
[19:42] <desc> Eli was just expressing irritation and disbelief but hadn’t really done anything.
[19:42] <ppups> we’re third in line or something?
[19:43] <jake2099> they’re in their car, moving away from the border at high speed, and you guys have, probably five minutes until you’re through
[19:43] <ppups> okay, so let’s start, then
[19:43] <jake2099> ok, what are you all doing?
[19:43] <ppups> “So who are these dudes? What’s the protocol? I can stop the car or turn it around, call the play, but quickly!”
[19:44] <ppups> (^^ Goldman asks urgently)
[19:44] <misteranthropy> (by turn it around, what does she mean?)
[19:44] <desc> Elithora looks to Sinon and reaches for her phone to call BJ. “This obviously isn’t a coincidence. We can’t go richter right here. Hell.”
[19:44] <ppups> (I’ll cast control object and turn the car around)
[19:44] <ppups> “Let it go? I’ve got like 2 seconds.”
[19:45] <misteranthropy> “Seers. If you can make it covert, then do it.”
[19:45] <ppups> (roll first, right?)
[19:45] <jake2099> (yeah)
[19:46] <ppups> Critical 7d6h8
[19:46] <ppups> Critical 7d10h8
[19:46] <ppups> 7d10h8
[19:46] <critical> ppups, 7d10h8: 0 [7d10h8=4,2,5,6,7,3,3]
[19:46] <ell> b
[19:46] <misteranthropy> (boo)
[19:46] <ppups> (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YOU WARNED ME SO HARD)
[19:46] <ell> (oh you started right as the pizza arrived)
[19:47] <ppups> Goldman frantically casts her spell, but nothing seems to happen. “Shit! Didn’t take.”
[19:47] <misteranthropy> Sinon turns to the mystaggue. “Eli, can you make sure that they hit all the red lights?”
[19:47] <ppups> (I’ve been waiting a week for that Critical to reject my ass :( )
[19:47] <jake2099> (you have been blooded. you are now One Of Us)
[19:48] <misteranthropy> (hey gabba gabba)
[19:48] <ppups> (False sympathy! You were secretly rooting for the Seers all along >.< )
[19:48] <desc> (what does this border crossing look like anyway? I should google this as I am assuming we’re still on the 5 and this is just a stop like the one down here going to mexico. it’s not a surface street is it?)
[19:48] <misteranthropy> (btw – remember that you can always use Willpower to add 3 dice to a roll)
[19:48] <misteranthropy> (i always forgot that at first)
[19:49] <ppups> (I did forget, but I didn’t think I’d need it! Unopposed 7 dice)
[19:49] <jake2099> (right, this is an interstate)
[19:49] <ppups> (I thought the first cast would go smoothly and then everything would get crazy once they knew we were back here)
[19:49] <jake2099> (in canada it’s Highway 99)
[19:49] <ppups> (so I’m assuming there’s only time for one round before they’re out of sensory range)
[19:51] <desc> “The real question is whether they’ve already noticed us. I’m pretty sure we know where they’re going.”
[19:52] <ppups> “We don’t have much of a problem with Seers in Seattle.”
[19:52] <ppups> Goldman pauses for a moment.
[19:52] <misteranthropy> 10d10h8 (Life
Gnosis+WP) “The other question is, can we beat them there.” Sinon begins casts gain skill.
[19:52] <critical> MisterAnthropy, (LifeGnosis+WP) “The other question is, can we beat them there.” Sinon begins casts gain skill.: 3 [10d10h8=4,2,5,9,7,3,[10,5],8,5,5]
[19:52] <ppups> “Didn’t, I guess.” She sighs. “Have to get used to talking like that.”
[19:52] <misteranthropy> (drive is now 3 — we should’ve had Goldman drive)
[19:53] <desc> Elithora starts tracing lines in S-shapes and slashing them with her fingers. (Just casting a winds of chance on them really, more of storytelling slowdown on their traffic than mehcanical.)
[19:53] <desc> 4d10h8
[19:53] <critical> desc, 4d10h8: 1 [4d10h8=7,9,4,3]
[19:53] <ell> (at the border it’s 2 lanes each way, divided. usually a lot of traffic)
01[19:53] <thomamelas> (Has BJ spotted them?)
[19:53] <ppups> “How does this work? Do we try to kill them? I don’t have a lot of experience with this sort of thing…”
[19:54] <desc> “This is definitely, definitely not the location to blow the lid off. We need to keep cool and start engineering the situation into our favor.”
[19:55] <misteranthropy> “Agreed.” Sinon looks ahead impatiently.
[19:55] <ell> (well they won’t be crossing back easily)
[19:55] <jake2099> (BJ saw them when aurie did)
01[19:55] <thomamelas> Excellent.
01[19:56] <thomamelas> BJ is casting control electricty. Attempting to short the electrical system of their car.
01[19:56] <thomamelas> 5d10h8
[19:56] <
critical> thomamelas, 5d10h8: 1 [5d10h8=2,6,5,[10,6],5]
[19:56] <ppups> "Okay, cool, no problem, but what happens then? I mean, is this something we can solve with a convenient flat tire? No harm, no foul?
[19:56] <ppups> "
[19:57] <ppups> (how do cars work… can they still drive without power steering and stuff)
[19:58] <jake2099> Their taillights go out and in the headlights of the person behind them you see the sedan drift onto the shoulder.
01[19:58] <thomamelas> (They don’t run very well at all if the ECU dies.)
[19:58] <misteranthropy> “What happens? We get to the Athenaeum first and they leave empty handed.” Sinon smiles slightly. “As far as in the future…”
[20:01] <jake2099> So what’s the plan? You’ve got a couple minutes until you pass through the border. What happens when you get through?
[20:02] <desc> 6d10h8 shield of chronos ‘cause Eli is still worrying they are about to get out of their cars, know where we are, and start popping
[20:02] <+critical> desc, shield of chronos ’cause Eli is still worrying they are about to get out of their cars, know where we are, and start popping: 0 [6d10h8=3,7,1,1,3,4]
[20:02] <desc> fffuu
[20:03] <misteranthropy> Sinon activates his Subtle Dance attainment. (incognito Presence + Fate-based Mage Sight)
01[20:03] <thomamelas> Going to call Traceur and Khatsalano. Explain what’s going on. Suggest they tell Janis to make nice.
[20:03] <desc> We need to just get through and approach. They veered off onto the shoulder — they’re going to figure out something is up. We might as well just move by and start hustling.
[20:04] <jake2099> Thom, Traceur answers the phone. “What’s up, Blackjack?”
01[20:07] <thomamelas> (Wait, we agreed to not make the call till we’re past the border. Pretend I waited. My bad.)
[20:07] <jake2099> (oh, okay, hah)
[20:07] <jake2099> (wayne’s world rewind noise~~)
[20:08] <ppups> (yessssss)
[20:08] <misteranthropy> i figure we drive through incognito and then use boosted driving and fate magics to get there first
[20:09] <desc> That’s my vote. We need to not be right here on the border. We drive by as discretely as possible and get the heck there.
01[20:09] <thomamelas> Good plan.
[20:09] <misteranthropy> if we get the car chase jake has obviously been wanting since forever
[20:09] <misteranthropy> then one of us acts as a decoy/delay for the others?
[20:09] <jake2099> The line moves forward and Eli’s Jetta, with Sinon and Goldman in, moves to the front. The guard reviews everyone’s IDs and then
[20:09] <jake2099> 2d10h8
[20:09] <critical> jake2099, 2d10h8: 1 [2d10h8=7,9]
[20:10] <jake2099> waves them through. “Have a safe trip, ma’am.”
01[20:10] <thomamelas> Works. Use BJ as the decoy since it’s just the two of us?
[20:10] <ppups> “Not likely,” mutters Goldman
[20:10] <desc> Elithora smiles and putts through in the least remarkable manner possible.
[20:11] <desc> (man I should have cooked up the fate driving rote already :c)
[20:11] <misteranthropy> (oh, eli was driving? in that case no skill boosts earlier)
[20:11] <misteranthropy> (i was so tired last week its a miracle i remember anything from it)
[20:11] <jake2099> (it was her car so I assumed, but if someone else took the wheel, no big deal)
[20:11] <desc> (I don’t think we actually specified to be honest. I guess I’m driving — I have a point in it, it’s fine.)
[20:12] <jake2099> Now it’s BJ and Aurie’s turn at the guard post. Is Eli just moving forward down the highway or waiting for the other two?
[20:12] <misteranthropy> (he can totally have given her the skill boost though, so take an extra three dots!)
[20:12] <desc> (k)
01[20:12] <thomamelas> Shows his passport and smiles at the guard.
[20:13] <desc> Elithora is driving slowly and steadily but not obnoxiously slowly. She’s hoping BJ will be able to whisk through and catch up unobtrusively.
[20:14] <jake2099> The guard raises an eyebrow at BJ’s car. “Nice wheels, sir. What’s the purpose of your trip?”
[20:14] <ell> Aurelia shows hers “We’re visiting some friends in Seattle.”
01[20:15] <thomamelas> “Just a social visit, then back to class.”
[20:16] <jake2099> 2d10h8
[20:16] <
critical> jake2099, 2d10h8: 0 [2d10h8=1,5]
[20:16] <ppups> (ominous music playing right now)
[20:16] <jake2099> He smiles and nods. “Enjoy your visit, miss.” He hands you back your IDs and waves you through.
[20:16] <ppups> (Cleaning Apartment from Requiem for a Dream)
[20:17] <jake2099> (heh)
[20:17] <ppups> (okay called that one early, nbd nbd)
[20:17] <jake2099> Desc
[20:17] <jake2099> You pass the Seers’ sedan. It’s deserted.
01[20:17] <thomamelas> Takes it and drives off, trying not to draw attention.
[20:18] <ppups> (the IDs or the seer car?)
[20:18] <jake2099> (i’m guessing the IDs, taking the car would probably draw some attention :P )
[20:18] <ell> (gust grabs the car, puts it in his pocket)
[20:18] <ppups> ):D_
[20:19] <ppups> (:D) rather
[20:19] <ell> (ugh I burned my hand)
[20:19] <ppups> (wtf :( dont do that)
01[20:19] <thomamelas> (IDs. :P)
[20:19] <jake2099> Thom, you catch up to the others pretty quickly. It’s late enough that traffic is pretty reasonable. None of you see hide or hair of the Seers – they seem to have promptly ditched their ride.
[20:19] <misteranthropy> Once Sinon sees that the others have passed the checkpoint, he pulls his phone out of his pocket and prepares a coded text to Jones. The Guardian hits send as he looks over at Elithora, “Time to see what these wheels can do.”
[20:20] <jake2099> (yes!)
[20:21] <desc> (Hmm. What’s the best roll for something like high speed drive to Seattle? Still drive+dex or is this like, resolve or something?)
[20:21] <jake2099> I think wits + drive since it’s less reflex and more observation/planning
[20:22] <jake2099> both of you driving, give me a roll and let’s see how you do
01[20:22] <thomamelas> 2d10h8 (3 wits, untrained drive for 1)
[20:22] <critical> thomamelas, (3 wits, untrained drive for -1): 0 [2d10h8=6,3]
[20:23] <desc> 5d10h8 w/ the three bonus points from the spell
[20:23] <
critical> desc, w/ the three bonus points from the spell: 2 [5d10h8=[10,4],8,6,2,2]
[20:24] <jake2099> wait bro your wits is 2 and your base drive is 1, with 3 shouldn’t that be 6 dice?
[20:24] <ppups> (desc is too busy dancing to do maths)
[20:24] <desc> 1d10h8
[20:24] <
critical> desc, 1d10h8: 0 [1d10h8=6]
[20:26] <jake2099> Ok!
01[20:26] <thomamelas> (Ronin this is not.)
[20:27] <ppups> (Goldman could drive for you if you would just hate Gordon Gekko a little less)
[20:28] <ppups> (those airline pilots had it coming)
[20:29] <jake2099> Somehow Eli’s Jetta wildly outpaces BJ’s MGC. She weaves through traffic with machinelike efficiency at 20 above the speed limit. (The Jetta and its passengers will get to the destination with a quickness, and with a couple rounds on the others. :P )
[20:30] <ell> “BJ, you drive like my grandmother”
[20:30] <jake2099> (hahahaha(
[20:30] <ppups> (aurie’s grandmother is actually the little old lady from pasadena)
01[20:30] <thomamelas> “This car while stylish is from the late 60’s. She is not as fast as she looks.”
[20:30] <desc> (How did Eli know that person was about to signal and slow way down 5 seconds later? etc)
[20:33] <ell> (Aurie’s grandmother is from guangzhou)
[20:34] <desc> Eli has the unnerving habit of driving by Fate as she obsessively checks her phone map and peers in her rearview for BJ over and over.
[20:35] <misteranthropy> Sinon is eerily undisturbed by Elithora’s driving techniques.
[20:35] <jake2099> About ninety minutes later, after passing through Bellingham and Mount Vernon the highway bends east toward the northern outskirts of Seattle. ppups, Goldman knows that the Athenaeum is a private warehouse on Harbor Island.
[20:35] <ppups> 7d10h8 Goldman stays very still for a moment, her eyes closed. After a moment, she seems much more relaxed. (Goldman casts Unseen Aegis)
[20:35] <critical> ppups, Goldman stays very still for a moment, her eyes closed. After a moment, she seems much more relaxed. (Goldman casts Unseen Aegis): 3 [7d10h8=[10,8],3,3,5,5,5,[10,2]]
[20:36] <ppups> Goldman gives detailed directions to the others as they approach the island.
01[20:36] <thomamelas> (Hey Jake, what is Noden’s range for appearing and disappearing?)
[20:37] <jake2099> (I’ll check the Familiar rules, 1 sec)
[20:38] <misteranthropy> As the car approaches the island, Sinon begins chanting in high speech. His hands move about as though he is accessing a series of floating icons or menus in front of him. Finally he retrieves an ampule of blue fluid from inside his suit and he downs it.
[20:39] <misteranthropy> 12d10h8 Supreme Honing (Life
Gnosis+Chanting+WP)
[20:39] <critical> MisterAnthropy, Supreme Honing (LifeGnosis+Chanting+WP): 7 [12d10h8=7,1,6,3,4,[10,8],9,8,7,9,8,9]
[20:39] <ppups> (wow that is not a large island)
[20:39] <misteranthropy> that is vulgar btw
[20:39] <jake2099> (it is 100% concrete)
[20:40] <ppups> “Mind if I ask what you’re doing?” Goldman ventures. “If we’re preparing for something, I may be able to help.”
[20:40] <desc> (dang anthro … also I wish I had cast the 9-again fate spell on you on prinicple :p)
[20:40] <misteranthropy> (i can only use 4 successes – critical is taunting me)
[20:40] <desc> (fuuu)
[20:40] <ppups> (how does critical handle 9-again)
[20:41] <desc> (I think we’d just have to roll however many 9s manually as asecond roll and add those successes is all.)
[20:42] <jake2099> oh 9-again is easy
[20:42] <misteranthropy> “Super Soldier Serum.” Sinon says back to Goldman as he holds up the empty vial.
[20:42] <jake2099> add r9 to the end of the string
[20:42] <jake2099> so like 5d10h8r9
[20:42] <jake2099> 5d10h8r9
[20:42] <critical> jake2099, I don’t understand your moon language … try !help
[20:42] <misteranthropy> hahahaha
[20:42] <jake2099> 5d10r9h8
[20:42] <
critical> jake2099, that’s a little absurd don’t you think?
[20:43] <jake2099> GRRRR
01[20:43] <thomamelas> (Oh Critical.)
[20:43] <jake2099> I swear to god it used to work that way
[20:43] <jake2099> !help
[20:43] <jake2099> !roller
[20:43] <desc> 4d10h8 Sibyl’s Site just to look for anything horrendously obvious on the way in.
[20:43] <+critical> desc, Sibyl’s Site just to look for anything horrendously obvious on the way in.: 0 [4d10h8=7,1,5,2]
[20:44] <desc> fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
01[20:44] <thomamelas> !
[20:44] <desc> sight
[20:44] <desc> fuu
[20:44] <desc> etc
01[20:44] <thomamelas> !help
05[20:44] -Critical
Roll dice in the format ‘1d20+6’. Multiple sets like so: ‘2#1d20+6’
05[20:44] Critical Rolls can be followed with a comment: ‘1d20+6 attack roll’
05[20:44] Critical Separate multiple rolls with a semicolon, ‘;’, with or without comments.
05[20:44] Critical Rolls can be made over private message.
05[20:44] Critical Type !roller for detailed rolling options.
[20:44] <jake2099> 2d10r9h8
[20:44] <critical> jake2099, that’s a little absurd don’t you think?
01[20:44] <thomamelas> !roller
05[20:44] Critical Format: XdY to roll X dice of Y sides. Prefix N# to roll the dice N times.
05[20:44] Critical Options: Add options in the following order after the base die, e.g. 2d6r1
05[20:44] Critical r Z – reroll die if result is Z or lower (Brutal property in D&D)
05[20:44] Critical e Z or o Z – extra / open roll when the die is Z or higher, extra grants one bonus roll only
05[20:44] Critical k Z or l Z – keep the highest/lowest Z rolls, drop others
05[20:44] Critical t Z – target number Z, count rolls that meet or exceed Z as successes
05[20:44] Critical h Z – hits Z, count rolls that meet or exceed Z as successes, max roll grants bonus roll (WoD etc.)
05[20:44] Critical x Z – hits Z, count rolls that meet or exceed Z as successes, max roll grants bonus success (Exalted)
05[20:44] Critical Examples:
05[20:44] Critical D&D: 2#1d20
6 close blast 3 vs Reflex; 1d6+4 damage
05[20:44] Critical SR3: 5d6t4 Electronics 5 vs TN 4
05[20:44] Critical Fudge: 4dF fudge dice! (-4 to 4)
05[20:44] Critical Cthulhutech: 3dC
7 Marksmanship
[20:45] <ppups> “Do you have a gun? Or some other mundane weapon?” To Eli, “You too, if you’ve got anything.”
[20:45] <jake2099> ok so rolling for paradox for sinon’s honing the form. his gnosis is 3 so base die of 2 with 1 for high speech
[20:45] <jake2099> 1d10h8
[20:45] <critical> jake2099, 1d10h8: 1 [1d10h8=9]
[20:45] <jake2099> WHOOP
[20:46] <ell> 2d10r9
[20:46] <
critical> Ell, 2d10r9: 20 [2d10r9=10,10]
[20:46] <ell> hmm
[20:46] <misteranthropy> (he eats the bashing)
01[20:46] <thomamelas> 5d10h8;r9
[20:46] <critical> thomamelas, 5d10h8: 3 [5d10h8=[10,10,5],5,6,[10,3],7]
[20:47] <jake2099> (ok(
[20:47] <misteranthropy> Sinon pulls his PPK from his undercover holster. He hands it back to Goldman. “Be careful with that. It can’t be replaced.”
[20:47] <desc> “No. The odds are I would just shoot myself accidentally. I usually leave the firepower to the experts.”
[20:47] <jake2099> Ok, so Sinon has honed the form, Goldman has armor, what else are you guys doing in preparation? While you do that I"m going to grab a coffee.
01[20:47] <thomamelas> BJ is bringing up Prime armor and Prime sight.
[20:48] <desc> “I can’t see any threads clearly yet. We need to get in there and get what we can. I want to run as full as postcog as I can manage.”
[20:49] <jake2099> Thom
[20:49] <jake2099> when you bring up Prime sight
[20:49] <desc> Just Chronos Armor for Eli. Lucky timing has gotten her this far in life.
[20:49] <misteranthropy> (Sinon should also have his daily LIfe Armor and the Mental Shield from earlier.)
[20:50] <desc> err I mean, fortune’s protection, sorry
[20:50] <misteranthropy> he will fill up the last dot before spell accumulation with LIfe-based Mage Sight.
[20:51] <jake2099> Thom, with Prime sight, you see a blue haze of Prime magic hovering over the entire Seattle skyline. It’s begun to disperse a bit, but it’s a hazy, foggy shape not unlike a mushroom cloud.
[20:51] <ppups> (jake i forgot to switch my rote, I assume it’s cool if I use the crafts rote instead of the occult one since my final version of Goldman at Awakening has occult as untrained?)
[20:51] <jake2099> (yeah, that’s fine!)
[20:51] <misteranthropy> and will reactivate his attainment for the free fate sight.
[20:52] <ppups> 11d10h8
[20:52] <
critical> ppups, 11d10h8: 4 [11d10h8=6,8,1,[10,6],7,9,9,3,7,7,4]
[20:52] <ppups> (wait can I use high speech ona rote)
[20:52] <jake2099> (yes)
01[20:52] <thomamelas> Gives Aur Prime Sight. “That…is not good.”
[20:53] <ppups> 14d10h8 rote Alter Accuracy with high speech and tool
[20:53] <critical> ppups, rote Alter Accuracy with high speech and tool: 2 [14d10h8=4,4,4,3,4,2,[10,4],5,4,6,[10,5],6,4,2]
[20:53] <ppups> (lollerskates)
[20:53] <desc> (critical)
[20:53] <ppups> (brutal hazing)
[20:53] <ell> “Oh wow no, that isn’t good.”
[20:54] <ell> Aurelia quickly casts misperception on herself
[20:54] <ell> 6d10h8
[20:54] <
critical> Ell, 6d10h8: 2 [6d10h8=2,5,6,8,2,9]
[20:55] <ppups> (second pls looking something up)
[20:56] <desc> (Jake are we presuming Eli is arriving now while BJ and Aurie are seeing this from a ways back still en route?)
[20:56] <jake2099> (yes)
[20:57] <jake2099> Okay so
[20:58] <ppups> Goldman speaks rapidly in high speech, sentences and phrases tumbling from her mouth as she waves a lead coin in ritualized gestures over the gun. After a moment, she stops and hands it back to Sinon, saying, “Good luck.”
[20:59] <misteranthropy> Sinon places the pistol back in its holster. “Thank you. Here’s hoping we won’t need it.”
[20:59] <ell> (man, it is a crime that the Sea Shadow wasn’t turned into a museum ship)
01[21:00] <thomamelas> (No one wanted the damn thing apparently.)
[21:00] <jake2099> Harbor Island is a sliver-shaped wedge that butts right up against downtown Seattle. The entire island is paved over – there is literally not a square foot of green on it. As you cross the bridge to it, huge loading cranes tower overhead in the distance.
01[21:02] <thomamelas> Calls Sinon on his cell phone.
[21:02] <jake2099> Vast warehouses painted that certain shipping-industry shade of corrugated-metal red or cobalt blue squat below you as the offramp leads you down. Almost all the traffic here are trucks of one kind or another.
[21:02] <ppups> (Goldman wouldn’t suggest it, since people said we’re hoping to be in and out without a fight, but ambush the seers? Accident on a bridge and they’re in some trouble)
[21:02] <ppups> (I guess we don’t know what car they’re driving and they probably can mask themselves appropriately)
[21:02] <ppups> (NEVARMIND)
[21:02] <ell> (no one wanted the Hughes Mining Barge. And the Navy insisted that the two vessels go together)
[21:03] <misteranthropy> Sinon answers his phone.
[21:03] <ell> (Well, no one wanted it as a museum ship. It’s a damn good drydock, apparently)
01[21:03] <thomamelas> “So our new friend was not lying. Prime sight looks like someone set off a magical nuke.”
[21:05] <misteranthropy> “I see. I’d say it was good to know of her veracity, but I’m not sure that’s entirely appropriate given the circumstances.”
[21:05] <ell> Aurelia gasps at the sea of shipping containers
[21:06] <ppups> Goldman snorts. “Yeah, that would be a clever lie to tell.”
[21:06] <ell> (we’re in the other car, guys?)
[21:06] <misteranthropy> (phone call!)
01[21:06] <thomamelas> “I know you do not like the idea of calling in but this is some serious magic.”
[21:06] <ppups> (Sinon’s not!)
01[21:06] <thomamelas> (Cell phones are a mages best friend.)
[21:06] <ell> “Yea, that is some freaky juju… terrible.”
[21:07] <ppups> (‘her veracity isn’t guarded speech’)
[21:07] <misteranthropy> “I texted Jones once we were over the border. That was the agreement, yes?”
[21:07] <ppups> (ffff quotes in bad spots)
[21:07] <desc> Eli is half-listening but mostly driving aggressively towards the warehouse, asking Goldman a few questions until the warehouse comes into view.
[21:07] <misteranthropy> (he might actually want goldman to know they are talking about her…)
[21:08] <ppups> (I assumed as much. My only friend :) )
01[21:08] <thomamelas> “I am thinking of calling Rattenbury before I call Traceur. Perhaps get Heirach approval first.”
[21:09] <ell> “I don’t like the idea of calling in the Guardians, BJ. I know they’d as soon destroy the athenaeum as recover it. And it’s /our/ athenaeum. I like you a lot, BJ, but… this is probably the most important duty to my order I’ve ever stumbled into. I know you understand what that means.”
[21:09] <misteranthropy> “I’ll leave that decision in your court. If Aurelia hasn’t told Minerva yet she should.”
01[21:09] <thomamelas> (Rattenbury is Silver Ladder….)
[21:09] <misteranthropy> (jake may not have noticed that sinon already informed the guardians…)
[21:10] <ell> (I’m operating under the assumption Sinon can’t hear Aurelia)
[21:10] <ell> (and vice versa)
[21:10] <ppups> (Right, it should be obvious to Aurelia what they’re talking about)
[21:10] <misteranthropy> (i know, i am not just noting that he did not hear anything back)
[21:10] <jake2099> (oh I did! they’re aware of the situation. did you want any sort of advice or backup from them?)
[21:10] <ell> (Aurelia informed Minerva before we even left the restaurant)
[21:10] <ppups> (WTF SNEAKY)
[21:10] <misteranthropy> (got to love the double dealing)
[21:11] <ppups> (picked the worst cabal ever for her plan… nbd nbd)
[21:11] <jake2099> (hahaha)
01[21:11] <thomamelas> One hand covering the phone. “I am not planning on telling the Guardians. But I need to call Traceur. And I am hoping Rattenbury can make this less politically tricky.”
[21:12] <misteranthropy> (nah, no need for backup, more just if there is any plan for investigation of the situation)
[21:13] <ppups> (“investigation” http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyj4lbnC6l1qmd6zxo1_500.jpg )
[21:13] <ell> “You have your duty as well, yes.”
[21:13] <misteranthropy> (of course, once sinon finds out that aurelia reneged on the agreement… any promises made to her will broken out of sheer spite)
[21:13] <jake2099> (they’re getting in touch with their people in portland and olympia to get to seattle ASAP)
01[21:14] <thomamelas> “Aurelia, I promise to do my best to help you recover the Athenium intact for the Mysterium.”
[21:14] <ell> “Thanks BJ, I hope that I can repay you someday.”
01[21:15] <thomamelas> Hanging up on the phone. Calling Traceur now.
[21:15] <ppups> (what a thrysus… Goldman would take it in stride)
[21:16] <ell> (She contacted Minerva before any agreement was proposed, actually. Like I’m not sure if you missed it, but she even did a full rote casting in the high speech in front of everyone)
[21:16] <jake2099> Desc, a few turns and you’re at the warehouse, on the north side of the island. There’s a thick, eight-foot concrete wall around it, topped with barbed wire; the sign outside simply says “Universal Import and Export”, with a carefully generic globe logo. The entrance is a sliding metal gate, currently closed; it appears to be operated by a lockbox.
[21:16] <ppups> (I missed that)
[21:17] <misteranthropy> i see that chanting in the log now. didn’t catch that a spell was actually finished. in that case the guardians knew before the group left. which makes all the conversation in that scene kind of pointless.
[21:18] <ppups> (yeah there’s some stuff that doesn’t make sense in retrospect)
[21:18] <jake2099> (we got a little disorganized. it happens)
01[21:18] <thomamelas> (Well BJ operates on Better to ask forgiveness then permission so he’s calling late.)
[21:18] <ppups> (yeah it all looks nice in the rpgnet posts)
[21:18] <ppups> (I assumed it was a little goofier in real time)
[21:19] <desc> Elithora pulls up and parks the car by the gate. She throws her door open and strides to the gate to look at the lockbox.
[21:19] <ppups> “Fast or slow?” Goldman asks, glancing meaningfully at the wall.
[21:19] <desc> (this is just a physical key lockbox and not like a keypad or anything, right)
[21:20] <misteranthropy> (re: ‘what a thyrsus’ it’s actually that cabals are… /sacred/ to guardians. its supposed to be the one group that can be trusted and the one group that can trust the guardian. he puts aside order duties for them. if they don’t respect that, then its not actually cabal anymore.)
[21:20] <jake2099> (yeah)
[21:20] <desc> (lame, it just now occured to me that postcognition is a really good way around a lot of passwords and keypads : p)
[21:21] <ppups> (interesting!)
[21:21] <ppups> (I can’t find the rule…what’s the default duration for instant spells?)
[21:21] <ppups> (Reconfigure Object doesn’t list one)
[21:22] <desc> Eli turns to Goldman. “I don’t suppose you have a spare key or a hankering to tinker with the Matter in this gate system? I know there are dramatic ways inside but the less we alert random sleepers, the better.”
[21:22] <jake2099> (it might be permanent)
[21:22] <jake2099> (magic cast on objects usually is)
[21:23] <ppups> (not in matter, I don’t think… most of my transmute stuff is prolonged)
[21:23] <misteranthropy> Sinon follows behind Elithora. He looks out for signs of Life or approaching strands of fate. “I might be able to handle a mundane lock, but I wouldn’t want to press my luck on something that might be trapped.”
[21:23] <jake2099> (oh holy shit…there’s an rpgnet thread. “Duration of Reconfigure Object??”)
[21:23] <ppups> (haha)
[21:24] <misteranthropy> He is somewhat wishing that he had ridden the guy who can detect wards.
[21:24] <ppups> (There’s no machines involved, right? I’m not sure quite what I can do with Control object but the lock or the gate itself seem appropriate targets)
[21:24] <jake2099> (“I’m going to go with Lasting, actually. Consider: With Matter 3 a mage can cast both Plasticity and Animate Object. Combining both of those would allow a lasting reconfiguration of an object, so I wouldn’t object to Matter 4 being able to do so with one spell.”)
[21:24] <jake2099> (that seems like a sound argument to me so let’s go for it)
[21:25] <ppups> (sounds cool)
[21:25] <jake2099> (I would make a note of that somewhere on your sheet or something if it’s a spell you plan to use a lot)
01[21:25] <thomamelas> (And Jacob, apparently familuars are anchored to their owner ‘privacy issues ahoy’ but have no range limits. Although I assume they still have a speed limit.)
[21:25] <ppups> (I have no plans about spells. Will note it though!)
[21:25] <jake2099> (okay, that makes sense, thom)
[21:26] <ppups> “I’m better at cleaning up later than not being messy, I’m afraid.” Goldman smiles. “I’ll give it a try.”
[21:27] <desc> Elithora glances up and down the street. “Don’t worry. A light touch. You’ve got it.”
[21:28] <ppups> (Jake, control object is that silver ladder spell. I think the book language discusses “devices” or “machines”)
[21:28] <ppups> (can I cast it on the lock to unlock or the gate to open?)
[21:28] <jake2099> I think this would count.
[21:28] <jake2099> go for it!
[21:29] <ppups> 11d10h8
[21:29] <critical> ppups, 11d10h8: 4 [11d10h8=3,7,1,9,4,9,2,9,[10,1],2,5]
[21:29] <ppups> She stands motionless, looking at the gate. After a moment, the lock clicks.
[21:30] <jake2099> The gate rumbles open, wide enough to admit a pair of 18-wheeler trucks. The parking lot beyond is empty; it seems you’ve arrived here before anyone else, unless they’ve already gone.
[21:31] <desc> Eli jerks her head back to the car and jogs back, starting the engine back up.
01[21:32] <thomamelas> (How far back are we?)
[21:33] <jake2099> About five minutes. You’re pulling onto the bridge to Harbor Island.
[21:34] <desc> (assuming everyone is just getting back in) Elithora looks to Sinon and Goldman. “Just … be ready.”
[21:34] <misteranthropy> “Always.” Sinon nods as he slides into his seat.
[21:35] <misteranthropy> (anything pinging on life or fate sight?)
[21:35] <jake2099> The Unversal Imports & Exports warehouse is a one-story metal building painted white, with a loading dock big enough for 2 trucks on one side and a darkened front office. The lights here are bright orange sodium vapor and give fairly even illumination over the entire half-acre lot.
[21:35] <jake2099> There’s an ozoney tinge to the air – magic nearby, although it might be the cloud BJ described.
[21:36] <jake2099> Nothing on Life sight, althoug all of your mage sights have a degree of “static”
[21:36] <jake2099> Basically, all resonance has been kind of overwhelmed by whatever happened here. This may affect paradox as well.
[21:37] <ppups> I’m not wearing any Mage Sight. Goldman’s not so experienced yet. :D
[21:37] <jake2099> Fate sight, however, shows a few lines converging very quickly on the warehouse. Two of them are probably BJ and Aurie, but that leaves something like six others.
[21:38] <misteranthropy> “Everything here is… sensitive. We’ll need to be careful with anything vulgar while we’re here.” Sinon looks over to the others. “Company is on the way, so we’d best get started ASAP.”
[21:39] <desc> Elithora grabs a black shoulder bag and gets out. “Right. This place has been properly fucked. Are we just breaking and entering or should we be snooping first? Time is the only advantage we have right now, but I don’t want to step on a landmine.”
[21:41] <jake2099> Thom, as you and Aurelia take the offramp onto the island, you see a pair of black vans labeled Praetorian Guard headed the same direction.
[21:42] <desc> (i am so fucked for mana. urgh.)
[21:43] <ell> “Praetorian Guard?” do they show anything on prime sight?
[21:43] <misteranthropy> “BJ and Aurelia will be here any minute, but we shouldn’t waste any time.” Sinon gets out of the car.
[21:43] <misteranthropy> He seems strangely unworried about walking into potential magic land mines.
[21:44] <jake2099> Ell, you don’t see anything on Prime sight from them.
01[21:44] <thomamelas> Beyond the obvious reference to rome, does the name ring any bells?
[21:44] <misteranthropy> (seers!)
[21:45] <jake2099> The security guards at TruLife had the same logo
01[21:45] <thomamelas> (Well yes.)
[21:45] <jake2099> And you know that one of the Seer ministries is named Praetorian
[21:45] <desc> Eli nods and moves to the front office door. “Let’s get inside then.”
[21:46] <ppups> (wait Eli’s question hasn’t been asnwered)
01[21:46] <thomamelas> “We have friends.” Looking around to see if anyone is around to see something magical.
[21:46] <ppups> (oh yeah it has)
[21:46] <jake2099> (Praetorian, Paternoster, Panopticon, HEgemony, and Mammon are the 5 seer ministries)
[21:46] <desc> (enh if sinon is confident let’s go in ‘ard)
[21:46] <ppups> Goldman follows along, looking nervous.
[21:47] <misteranthropy> (sinon is looney tunes, ’we’ve been chosen to do this’)
[21:47] <misteranthropy> (faith ftw)
[21:47] <jake2099> The front door appears to be locked by a key, with a keypad alarm inside.
[21:47] <misteranthropy> (which may not actually be looney tunes in a world with a realm of pure time/fate)
01[21:48] <thomamelas> (Jacob, how close are our ugly friends?)
[21:48] <ell> Aurelia looks to BJ “Friends?”
[21:48] <jake2099> Thom, they’re right ahead of you on the street heading to the warehouse. You’re about six blocks away.
[21:48] <jake2099> from the warehouse, I mean
[21:49] <jake2099> you’re twenty feet behind the second van.
01[21:49] <thomamelas> “Same logo as the TruLife guards. So more like houseguests you loathe.”
01[21:49] <thomamelas> (Is there a turn coming up?)
[21:49] <ell> “Oh shit. Can you get us in front of them?”
[21:49] <desc> Eli looks the building up and down. “We need in. If we can get everything unlocked we can at least stuff my car.”
[21:49] <ell> Aurelia has produced her bronze mirror
01[21:50] <thomamelas> “I can try.” Pressing his foot down on the pedal.
[21:50] <jake2099> no, it’s straight north
[21:50] <jake2099> like, you can see the warehouse walls
[21:50] <desc> She fishes her key fob out and jobs back to her car to pop the trunk and the rear passenger side door.
[21:51] <jake2099> Desc, you see headlights headed your way.
[21:51] <desc> The pitch of Eli’s voice rises in frustration. “Fuck. SINON.”
[21:51] <misteranthropy> Sinon looks up at the headlights, pulls his gun out and runs back toward the car.
[21:52] <desc> She starts backing away alongside the car and moving her hands into a mudra aimed at the unknown car.
[21:52] <ppups> Goldman follows, casting as soon as she can see the car
[21:52] <jake2099> Thom, you can get alongside them pretty easily, they’re not speeding – although obv that will tip them off.
[21:53] <ppups> 14d10h8 Control Object + willpower
[21:53] <
critical> ppups, Control Object + willpower: 0 [14d10h8=7,7,2,3,1,2,7,5,6,2,3,2,4,7]
[21:53] <ppups> (MOTHERFUCKER)
[21:53] <misteranthropy> (boo)
[21:53] <jake2099> (oh my god)
[21:53] <misteranthropy> (CRITICAL!)
[21:53] <desc> (welcome to critical’s world)
01[21:53] <thomamelas> The lady asked to get in front of her, so it’s time to be obvious. Pulling up along side them. And drawing his gun.
01[21:54] <thomamelas> Of them even
[21:54] <misteranthropy> (just so you know, the probability of that is (.7)^14 ~ 0.68%)
[21:54] <jake2099> (The World of Incompetence. A world like our own, but darker – because nothing ever works right. Simple tasks take three times as long to accomplish. Are you prepared for the ultimate in existential horror?)
[21:54] <misteranthropy> (assuming critical runs on a proper RNG)
[21:55] <ell> Can Aurelia see the dude driving?
[21:56] <ppups> (justin, you’ve got 2 rolls of 9-again on that gun)
[21:56] <jake2099> Thom, your roadster roars alongside the lead van. Ell, you can see the driver – he’s a young, dark-skinned man with a shaven head and a bluetooth earpiece. He glances down at your car with alarm as you pull alongside, then looks up at the open gates of the warehouse.
[21:56] <jake2099> ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!
[21:56] <ell> (wait, are we ALREADY infront of the warehouse? uggggghhhhhh)
01[21:57] <thomamelas> 1d10+6
[21:57] <critical> thomamelas, 1d106: 7 [1d10=1]
[21:57] <ell> (BJ drives worse than my grandmother. He should have pulled alongside with WAY more time)
[21:57] <jake2099> (you’re about four blocks from it. at your current speed you’ll get there in ~2 rounds)
[21:57] <misteranthropy> 1d10+7
[21:57] <critical> MisterAnthropy, 1d107: 11 [1d10=4]
[21:57] <ppups> (island’s about 4 square blocks, isn’t it?)
[21:57] <jake2099> 2#1d10+5
[21:57] <critical> jake2099, 2#1d105: 14 [1d10=9], 8 [1d10=3]
[21:57] <misteranthropy> (hahaha)
[21:57] <desc> 1d10+5
[21:57] <critical> desc, 1d105: 11 [1d10=6]
[21:58] <ppups> (oh nope I’m zoomed badly it’s like 12 blocks wide)
[21:58] <ell> 1d10+4
[21:58] <critical> Ell, 1d104: 13 [1d10=9]
[21:58] <ppups> 1d10+5
[21:58] <ell> (yeah, those shipping containers are HUEG)
[21:58] <critical> ppups, 1d105: 14 [1d10=9]
[22:00] <jake2099> First up is Goldman! Ok, you are in the warehouse parking lot. To your left is the Jetta and Elithora. To your right is Sinon. In front of you is the metal gate (which is open) and past it you can see two pairs of headlights – the one on the left is high up, probably a van, and the one on the right sounds like BJ’s roadster.
[22:01] <ell> (you mean the road deadends here? : x)
[22:01] <ppups> (how fast are the cars going?)
[22:03] <jake2099> you’re at the north end of the island – the road curves to the right here, but there’s a short (like thirty feet) private road that continues north from before the curve and directly up to the front gate
[22:04] <jake2099> ppups, right now they’re both doing 45. The van is in the process of speeding up as the driver realizes the competition is here.
[22:05] <ppups> 14d10h8 Control Object + Willpower on the steering wheel, drive into a building
[22:05] <critical> ppups, Control Object + Willpower on the steering wheel, drive into a building: 3 [14d10h8=3,[10,8],7,1,2,3,5,2,8,3,6,7,3,1]
[22:05] <ell> (NOOOOO)
[22:05] <ppups> (????)
[22:05] <ppups> (whaddididoooooooooooooo
[22:06] <ell> (never mind : ()
[22:06] <ppups> )
[22:06] <ell> (I was going to do something cool)
[22:06] <ell> (but now he’s in a building)
[22:06] <jake2099> (hahaha)
[22:06] <ell> (so now he can’t drive off a pier)
[22:06] <ppups> (I’m sure it’s opposed if he’s got his hands on the wheel… was hoping for more than 3 successes)
[22:06] <ppups> (I’m happy with the building but Critical probably isn’t)
[22:06] <jake2099> 3d10h8
[22:06] <
critical> jake2099, 3d10h8: 2 [3d10h8=[10,9],2,4]
01[22:06] <thomamelas> (You were going to have them make a long drive off a short pier?)
[22:06] <misteranthropy> (give him time, he might back out and come back around!)
[22:06] <ell> (Yep)
[22:06] <jake2099> Ppups, it is contested but he fails
[22:07] <ppups> (thomamelas nice line)
[22:07] <ell> (but the full topography makes that really hard)
[22:07] <ppups> Well the wheel yanks hard away from BJ and Aurelia’s car
[22:07] <ppups> bam bam blammo
[22:08] <jake2099> Ell, you see the driver’s face contort with alarm as he suddenly starts pulling hard left on the wheel but the van makes a beeline for an industrial park on your right. It bumps over a divider and then plows into an outbuilding, tipping onto its side and grinding to a halt with a shower of sparks.
[22:08] <ell> NEXT VEHICLE
[22:08] <jake2099> Next up would be Van 1, but he’s now indisposed :P
[22:08] <ppups> IS THERE NO ONE ELSE
[22:08] <jake2099> Aurelia’s turn!
[22:09] <ell> the other van?)
[22:09] <ppups> Oh, also on my turn I will run forward
[22:09] <ppups> chaaaaaarge
[22:10] <ell> (there is another van, right?)
[22:11] <jake2099> (there is, behidn you and to the right)
[22:12] <jake2099> here, I have arted a map: http://i.imgur.com/7v4ixAR.png
[22:12] <ppups> (drive into the other van and then keep going… push it into the water!)
[22:12] <ell> Aurelia gets a visual on the driver “Stay with this one, BJ!”
[22:13] <ppups> (his buddies will be all WTF ARE YOU DOING and he will be all “look it is fine trust me glug”)
[22:14] <jake2099> is that it for your turn, ell?
[22:14] <ell> 9d10h8 telepathic control mind+gnosis+wp
[22:14] <critical> Ell, telepathic control mindgnosis+wp: 3 [9d10h8=3,4,[10,2],2,[10,6],[10,7],5,1,6]
[22:14] <jake2099> oh bam
[22:14] <ell> vs resolve+gnosis
[22:14] <jake2099> 4d10h8
[22:14] <critical> jake2099, 4d10h8: 0 [4d10h8=7,2,7,4]
[22:14] <jake2099> mind: controlled
[22:14] <ell> 3 rounds of controlling what the driver does!
[22:14] <jake2099> this is a Hollow One
[22:14] <ell> infionite round!
[22:14] <jake2099> hmmm
[22:14] <ell> oh wow
[22:15] <jake2099> would his contesting roll include the gnosis of the mage who programmed him?
[22:15] <ell> so yeah, since I now have perfect control of this thing forever
[22:15] <ppups> (plan push the other van is best plan)
[22:16] <jake2099> I will research this later. ell, you have control of him. whatchu telling him to do?
[22:17] <ell> well I can’t make him perform actions inimical to his nature. IF his nature has been preprogrammed, say so. Otherwise hollow ones don’t have the normal compunctions against, for example, suicide
[22:17] <ell> and he is going to keep driving down the road, past the warehouse, and accelerating
[22:18] <ell> He has a NEED for SPEED
[22:18] <jake2099> That works for me!
[22:18] <jake2099> Van #2 races ahead, heedless of everything else!
[22:19] <jake2099> It rounds the curve and, with much honking, nearly slams into a truck headed the other way.
[22:20] <jake2099> There’s a gunshot, and then the van stops about a hundred yards east of the entrance.
[22:20] <ppups> (ice cold)
[22:21] <jake2099> You guys have a bit of a brief reprieve here while the occupants of the two vans dig themselves out of the shit you put them in. What are you doing with the time?
[22:21] <ppups> Does van 1 still work?
[22:23] <jake2099> it does not.
[22:23] <jake2099> There are some dudes crawling out the back of it, though.
01[22:23] <thomamelas> Which Van is closest to us.
[22:24] <jake2099> 1. It’s on its side but it’s across the street catty-corner from the warehouse. 2 got a ways away and the occupants of 2 will take a minute to get back to the warehouse on foot.
[22:25] <ppups> Do the rear doors of van 1 still work?
01[22:25] <thomamelas> (Jake, check your private messages.)
01[22:26] <thomamelas> (I have a plan.)
[22:26] <jake2099> The doors work, yeah
[22:26] <jake2099> 1 crashed into one of those kind of shitty prefab trailer things construction places use for offices.
01[22:26] <thomamelas> “Aur, make sure your seat belt is on.” Casting force armor on the car. And flooring it.
[22:26] <ppups> Okay can I use control object to have the doors hit the dudes who are crawling out
[22:27] <jake2099> Haha, sure!
[22:27] <ppups> 11d10h8 control object on van 1 rear doors
[22:27] <
critical> ppups, control object on van 1 rear doors: 2 [11d10h8=1,3,5,9,4,8,7,7,5,4,7]
[22:28] <ppups> (okay, do I have an unrealistic expectation for dice? The expected value is roughly 1 per 2 dice, right? right?)
[22:28] <jake2099> There are yelps as the doors slam into faces!
[22:28] <jake2099> (nah, it’s 33%
[22:28] <ppups> (.7*.7=0.5! odds of no successes on 2 dice should be 50%!)
[22:29] <ppups> (which… is what you just said. Okay, I’ll be in the corner.)
[22:29] <misteranthropy> (yes, but the exploding 10 results in an infinite series that sums to 3%)
[22:29] <misteranthropy> (former calc teacher)
[22:30] <misteranthropy> (so the prob of at least one is .3, but the exploding 10 adds another .03)
[22:30] <jake2099> (ok I am glad I got that right)
[22:30] <jake2099> Thom, what are you aiming the car toward?
01[22:30] <thomamelas> Aiming the car at the van. The van full of people who apparently are not wearing seat belts. (Jacob…I have no idea what kinda dice roll this is.)
[22:31] <ell> (It will involve drive)
[22:31] <desc> Eli is cursing all the fates with her brief moment here as she watches BJ swerving toward the crashed van.
[22:32] <jake2099> thom, dex plus drive!
01[22:32] <thomamelas> 5d10h8 (-1 Drive, 3 dex 3 WP)
[22:32] <critical> thomamelas, (-1 Drive, 3 dex 3 WP): 3 [5d10h8=8,6,9,9,1]
[22:32] <misteranthropy> “Nicely done.” Sinon calls out to Eli and Goldman. “Let’s get the lock while we can.” He just shakes his head as he watches the roadster.
[22:33] <ppups> (haha nice)
[22:33] <misteranthropy> Sinon moves over to the lock and begins working on it with his multi-tool.
[22:34] <misteranthropy> 10d10h8 (Dex + Honing Bonus 3 + Larceny + WP)
[22:34] <
critical> MisterAnthropy, (Dex + Honing Bonus 3 + Larceny + WP): 6 [10d10h8=7,4,[10,8],9,[10,2],9,3,3,[10,6],6]
[22:35] <jake2099> A couple of uniformed guards toting PS90s are nursing bruises and trying to pry themselves out of the wreckage when they look up and see the roadster bearing down on them!
[22:35] <jake2099> 2#5d10h8
[22:35] <critical> jake2099, 2#5d10h8: 1 [5d10h8=5,5,2,9,6], 1 [5d10h8=1,3,[10,4],1,5]
[22:36] <jake2099> They roll out of the way just in time. The other occupants of the van aren’t so fortunate, as with a sickening crunch and the shattering of glass the roadster slams into the van and crumples it, spinning it around on its side.
[22:37] <jake2099> Thom and Ell
[22:37] <jake2099> 4d10h8
[22:37] <
critical> jake2099, 4d10h8: 0 [4d10h8=1,3,5,6]
[22:38] <jake2099> BJ’s Armor spell on the roadster keeps you guys safe. The car is dented but nothing like one would expect from that kind of collision.
[22:38] <ell> “Holy shit BJ!”
[22:38] <misteranthropy> (he’s got a video game car!)
[22:39] <jake2099> (it’s totally do-able in this!)
[22:39] <desc> Elithora watches the crash, mouth open.
01[22:39] <thomamelas> (While the 69 MG has an anemic engine by modern standards, it does have the advantage of being easily fixed with bondo. And it helps if you can reduce the amount of impact it takes.)
[22:39] <jake2099> Meanwhile, Sinon pops the lock open! There’s a beep from an alarm panel on the inside. He probably has thirty seconds to input the correct code.
[22:39] <misteranthropy> Sinon fosses his life vision in on the keypad. The keys most touched should have more bacteria on them.
01[22:40] <thomamelas> “Two guys with guns left. Shock later.” Can we see the guys with the guns?
[22:40] <jake2099> good idea. The most-touched keys are the one, the four, and the seven.
[22:41] <jake2099> Thom, yes, they’re right near you, coming up from a crouch.
[22:41] <jake2099> One thing about well-programmed mind zombies is that they’re hard to rattle.
[22:42] <ppups> I should have another turn by now, right? Can I turn the gun to a gun-shaped pile of dust?
[22:43] <misteranthropy> 8d10h8 (Wits + Subterfuge + Fate + Order Bonus) “Who feels lucky today?” He casts winds of chance. It’s probably too much to ask of the simple spell, but anything might help.
[22:43] <critical> MisterAnthropy, (Wits + Subterfuge + Fate + Order Bonus) “Who feels lucky today?” He casts winds of chance. It’s probably too much to ask of the simple spell, but anything might help.: 1 [8d10h8=6,7,5,1,7,1,5,8]
[22:43] <jake2099> on one of them, sure!
[22:43] <jake2099> okay, so!
[22:43] <jake2099> justin
[22:44] <ppups> (wait are we doing vulgar casting? I think everything until now has actually been covert!)
[22:44] <jake2099> we’ll say that what happens is
[22:44] <jake2099> (you can if you want!)
[22:44] <jake2099> if you try a random combo, winds of chance will add 10% to the likelihood if it being the correct one
[22:45] <jake2099> so uh four digit password with three numbers…how many possibilities is that?
[22:45] <ppups> 4*3, I think… pick a place for the duplicate and then pick a number
[22:45] <misteranthropy> (but each number has to be used at least once)
[22:46] <misteranthropy> (so it will be a few less than that)
[22:46] <misteranthropy> (still way too many to get that lucky)
[22:46] <jake2099> (tonight is our math refresher course apparently :D )
[22:46] <ppups> (I am good at math but bad at counting… beware)
[22:46] <ell> (so whose turn is it?)
[22:46] <misteranthropy> (but unless anyone has any other ideas…)
[22:46] <ppups> (dude how slow is your dude)
[22:46] <desc> Eli moves next to Sinon and stares at the pad.
[22:46] <ppups> (fuck getting lucky, try them all)
01[22:47] <thomamelas> (Wait for BJ to hack it?)
[22:47] <misteranthropy> “Any important dates for the mysterium, Eli”
[22:47] <ell> (we have 30 sec, Elithora is right there, and she is a time mage)
[22:47] <misteranthropy> “1447? 1174?”
[22:47] <ppups> (hah! and fate!)
[22:48] <jake2099> Ell, you and Thom have initiative over the guys you nearly ran over. You can each try something before they shoot at you. Also ppups if you want to dissolve guns now is the time
[22:48] <desc> 6d10h8 Acceleration on Sinon
[22:48] <
critical> desc, Acceleration on Sinon: 2 [6d10h8=5,9,6,6,6,[10,1]]
[22:49] <ppups> (I will cast control object again to switch the safety on one, instead)
[22:49] <ppups> 11d10h8
[22:49] <desc> (jake I have no idea how you want to treat acceleration in an out-of-combat situation since that’s mostly what it’s for) (also this is vulgar)
[22:49] <critical> ppups, 11d10h8: 5 [11d10h8=2,[10,6],8,4,8,3,[10,4],7,7,1,9]
[22:50] <ppups> Goldman throws her hand in front of her, then snatches it back, making a twisting motion instead.
[22:50] <ppups> (these guns have safeties right)
[22:50] <ppups> (ps90s)
[22:50] <jake2099> (yes)
[22:51] <desc> (if I have time in 30 seconds I’m going to cast postcognition)
01[22:51] <thomamelas> (Assuming they didn’t remove them, a PS-90 should have a safety.)
[22:51] <jake2099> (they are the semi-auto version of the p90, which you may remember from counterstrike or tons of low-budget sci-fi movies)
[22:51] <jake2099> (cuz they look futuristic)
01[22:51] <thomamelas> (The favored gun of Stargate Command.)
[22:51] <misteranthropy> (it increases speed by a factor of 1
successes
-so he maybe moves 3 times faster than normal?)
[22:51] <jake2099> (that works for me)
[22:51] <misteranthropy> (and since his dex is 6 right now…)
01[22:52] <thomamelas> (I think Kakos has one or was planning on getting one. He loves him some moon guns.)
[22:52] <jake2099> Ppups, success! One of the guns is now safetied and the dude doesn’t know it.
[22:52] <jake2099> (kakos having guns worries me to no end)
[22:52] <ppups> (that dude knows where i live D:)
[22:52] <misteranthropy> Sinon begins running through the permutations of the three numbers. His hands move in a blur—similar to Lt. Cmdr Data replacing isolinear chips in the ships computer.
[22:52] <jake2099> (hahahaha best analogy)
[22:53] <misteranthropy> (its the closest thing i could think of of)
[22:53] <ppups> (pretty much perfect)
[22:53] <jake2099> 20#1d100
[22:53] <critical> jake2099, 20#1d100: 10 [1d100=10], 91 [1d100=91], 12 [1d100=12], 12 [1d100=12], 36 [1d100=36], 93 [1d100=93], 7 [1d100=7], 45 [1d100=45], 42 [1d100=42], 14 [1d100=14], 57 [1d100=57], 51 [1d100=51], 93 [1d100=93], 39 [1d100=39], 6 [1d100=6], 78 [1d100=78], 44 [1d100=44], 26 [1d100=26], 67 [1d100=67], 93 [1d100=93]
[22:53] <jake2099> BAM
[22:53] <jake2099> Sinon
[22:53] <jake2099> gets it right on the first try
[22:53] <ppups> (I might have chosen Lt. Cmdr Data shuffling)
[22:54] <jake2099> 10% < 1/18 + 10%
[22:54] <misteranthropy> (i am thinking of a particular awful 1st season episode)
[22:54] <jake2099> winds of fate ftw
[22:54] <jake2099> (dude that episode is rad. fat asian engineer! the weird picard sound!)
[22:54] <misteranthropy> (hahaha)
[22:54] <jake2099> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbKQ1LzpzeE
[22:54] <jake2099> I found a video of the noise!
[22:54] <misteranthropy> (to be fair, pretty much every 1st season episode is awful)
[22:54] <jake2099> HN HN HN HN HN HN HN!
[22:55] <ell> ok, Aurelia swings her bronze mirror at one of the two gunmen.
[22:55] <ppups> (the one with a working gun!)
[22:55] <ell> 9d10h8 hallucination gnosis
mind+wp
[22:55] <critical> Ell, hallucination gnosismind+wp: 3 [9d10h8=5,9,9,5,9,3,3,3,5]
[22:55] <jake2099> it would be, actually, since aurie is on the right hand side so would not be where goldman could see
[22:55] <ell> contested v resolve
[22:56] <jake2099> 4d10h8
[22:56] <+critical> jake2099, 4d10h8: 3 [4d10h8=[10,10,4],[10,2],4,7]
[22:56] <jake2099> :P sorry
[22:56] <ell> lucky bastard
[22:57] <jake2099> Inside the warehouse, the pad beeps and turns green. You’ve avoided setting off the first round of potential deathtraps!
[22:57] <jake2099> Ell, the guard levels his gun at you and BJ
[22:57] <jake2099> and meanwhile, a troupe of four other guards is hustling down the street toward the warehouse gate from van 2
[22:57] <jake2099> and that’s where we’ll leave it!
01[22:58] <thomamelas> So how many got squished in the van?
[22:58] <jake2099> 3
[22:58] <jake2099> there were 5 apiece
01[22:58] <thomamelas> An effecive use of one mana.
[22:58] <ell> 2 mana
[22:58] <ppups> so wait did a freaking hallow one resist aurie’s hallucination
[22:59] <ppups> when i couldn’t stop her telepathy?
[22:59] <ppups> so embarrassing
[22:59] <jake2099> behold the majesty of critical
[22:59] <jake2099> it exists to make fools of us all
01[22:59] <thomamelas> That should have been one mana casting forces armor on the car….
[22:59] <jake2099> random mooks? they’ll roll like gods
[22:59] <jake2099> my carefully-planned bad guys? youll one shot them
[22:59] <jake2099> it never fails
01[22:59] <thomamelas> Roll a combat monster and they won’t do much in combat. But they will be terrors with social rolls.
[23:00] <jake2099> yep!
[23:00] <ell> down to 3 mana/wp
01[23:01] <thomamelas> The joy of prime is slightly weakening conceret benches for their mana.
[23:02] <jake2099> so what you guys did to the two seers actually worked really well
[23:02] <jake2099> because
[23:02] <jake2099> they knew someone had fucked with their car magically
[23:02] <jake2099> but they didn’t know who, or where
[23:02] <jake2099> so they went into paranoia mode and tried to lock the area down
[23:02] <jake2099> while you whizzed past
[23:02] <misteranthropy> hahaha
[23:02] <ppups> my plan # 1 was to have them drive back at the border cops
[23:02] <jake2099> which is why you ended up dealing with 2 cars of mooks instead of 2 cars of mooks + 2 killer mages
[23:03] <ppups> and hope we could have countered anything they cast before they got shot
01[23:03] <thomamelas> Much better odds.
[23:03] <ppups> but eli and sinon were all “no”
[23:03] <ppups> and then i failsauced anyway
[23:03] <jake2099> that would have been awesome
[23:03] <jake2099> critical was hazing you tonight bro
[23:03] <desc> that would have been pretty lulzy
[23:04] <desc> I like the bacteria thing.
[23:04] <desc> That’s clever.
[23:04] <ppups> man
[23:04] <ppups> 14 dice
[23:04] <ppups> :(
[23:04] <desc> I was thinking the easy way around combinations is just to postcog it and watch someone do it, but 30 seconds isn’t enough time to pull it off.
[23:04] <misteranthropy> yeah, i was trying to figure out someway to use life or fate sight and wanted to stay in more of sinon’s bailiwick.
[23:05] <desc> it presumes you have enough time to sit and watch the VCR tape which isn’t 30 seconds amidst an impending firefight
[23:05] <ppups> I was thinking maybe something to do with the magazine of the gun, if I was trying to stay covert
[23:05] <ppups> but one bullet left is probably one too many
[23:05] <ppups> if I’m even right about how the gun works
[23:05] <misteranthropy> yeah. become a master and you can enter pocket time to have all that happen at once or something, rihgt?
[23:05] <jake2099> I believe so, yes!
01[23:06] <thomamelas> Best way to disable a gun like that is make the firing pin disappear. And the bacteria was clever.
[23:06] <ppups> plus then I googled it and the magazine releases upward? so it doesn’t fall on the ground or anything and they would be like “the fuck?” and push it back down?
[23:06] <ell> so now we have 4 + 2 dudes
[23:06] <ppups> I have to do something the gun normally does, with control object. If we’re going vulgar I can turn it into a marshmallow and have done with it
[23:07] <desc> yeah, pocket time would have been a good way
[23:07] <misteranthropy> you could turn the gun into a marshmallow gun…
[23:07] <jake2099> correct, ell. and the 4 won’t be on the scene for a few rounds, they are just hustling
01[23:08] <thomamelas> Yeah, Jacob threw a weird gun at us.
[23:08] <ell> would have been nice to have the 1 I controlled take out some of the others :/
[23:08] <ppups> that motherf- oh hi jake
[23:08] <desc> hey wait jake I didn’t go the vulgar magic paradox check though
01[23:08] <thomamelas> Eh, he got himself killed. Not too shabby.
[23:09] <ppups> wait
[23:09] <ppups> van TWO still works
[23:09] <ell> yes
[23:09] <ell> van 1 is totaled
[23:10] <jake2099> wait, which vulgar check desc?
[23:10] <ppups> i dunno if i can steer and make it go
[23:10] <misteranthropy> okay all, i need to get to bed.
[23:10] <desc> I think acceleration is always vulgar.
01[23:10] <thomamelas> Have a good night.
[23:10] <ppups> but if someone with forces could get the wheels rolling backward i could probably steer them
[23:10] <jake2099> night!
[23:10] <ppups> peace, justin
[23:10] <desc> see you J
[23:10] <misteranthropy> you too!
[23:10] <ell> night J
[23:10] <jake2099> ell, the 4 have bashing damage because they had to stop the van by shooting your guy
01[23:10] <thomamelas> You guys had no idea how much I was laughing when I got the idea that I pm’d Jake with.
[23:11] <jake2099> and then mashing the brake
02[23:11] * MisterAnthropy (~MisterAnt@cloak-97973A00.static.kc.surewest.net) Quit (Quit: MisterAnthropy )
[23:11] <ppups> this was the roadster charge?
01[23:11] <thomamelas> Yes! With forces armor.
[23:11] <ppups> that was pretty cool
[23:11] <ppups> Death Proof up ins
[23:12] <jake2099> hahaha yeah
01[23:13] <thomamelas> Seat belts are important.
[23:13] <jake2099> for a quick mook fight you guys got to do some cool shit
[23:13] <ppups> jake toss me the silver ladder book over gmail when u get a chance?
[23:13] <ppups> not that quick… after all our cool shit there are six left!
[23:14] <jake2099> sure thing pups!
[23:14] <jake2099> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53169097/Silver%20Ladder.pdf
[23:16] <ell> I was going
[23:16] <ell> to have the driver of one
[23:16] <ell> see the road sort of distort and stretch out
[23:17] <jake2099> oooh
[23:17] <jake2099> and then he’d just race forward into the bay
[23:17] <jake2099> ?
[23:17] <ell> yes
[23:18] <ell> but that would have required straight to not be directly into the wearehouse
[23:19] <jake2099> with that kind of control having him ram headlong into the concrete wall would have been fine too :P
01[23:19] <thomamelas> And I’m guessing the warehouse walls are a bit stronger then most warehouses. Having him splat into one likely would have hurt.
[23:19] <desc> oh my god, pusha t “I only change when the new body came, nigga / Aerodynamic, roof panoramic / My credit score let the dealer take full advantage / Paid over sticker price, cash under handed / The 012 a year early, I’m a time bandit”
[23:19] <desc> did he drop a Time Bandits reference into a verse
[23:20] <jake2099> I
[23:20] <desc> locks the game up with a padlock and just tosses the key
[23:20] <jake2099> I think he did
[23:20] <jake2099> dude so many rappers are closet nerds
[23:21] <ell> and vice versa
[23:22] <jake2099> true!
[23:24] <jake2099> so ell!
[23:24] <jake2099> I am down to do your aurie business whenever
[23:25] <jake2099> or desc, ppups, thom, if any of you want to do some side business
01[23:25] <thomamelas> I’m down for side business…but the current situation has thrown a wrench in my plans…
[23:25] <ell> ok
[23:25] <desc> I just need to do the minerva sit-down and talky time with aurie
[23:27] <ppups> Nothing so far
[23:27] <jake2099> I’ll be around tomorrow night more htan likely
[23:27] <jake2099> or thursday
[23:29] <desc> k. How about thursday cuddletime. Eli, thursday for aurie-eli?
[23:30] <jake2099> it works for me!
[23:34] <jake2099> ell, how about u?
[23:34] <ell> good tiome!
[23:37] <jake2099> rad ok!
01[23:38] <thomamelas> I might wanna run the sit down with Minerva and Janis on Wensday but I think a lot of that will depend on the outcome of the story.
[23:38] <jake2099> and ppups if anything occurs to you that you want to explore with goldman or any of the other characters just let me know and we’ll set something up. honestly the side stories are where a lot of the really meaty stuff happens
01[23:40] <thomamelas> Wait…Jacob would you be up for the weird cultist thing I mentioned before?
[23:41] <jake2099> yeah! i need to plan it a bit more but I could have it ready by this weekend
01[23:41] <thomamelas> Cool. That could be at anytime.
[23:41] <jake2099> oh speaking of planning could you send me tongiht’s log when you get a chance?
01[23:41] <thomamelas> Sure. Give me a second.

Raw Log - Session 022

At the Edge of All Things jacobkosh