Raw Log - Session 021

<jake2099> So! It has been one week since the Searchers made their play against the vampires of Vancouver and Sinon received the Antikythera Mask and its mechanism. What have you all been doing in the interim? Give me the juicy deets. Meanwhile, I’m going to PM puppies
[19:47] <thomamelas> BJ ran some errands, had his ass kicked and had a very nice date.
[19:47] <desc> (Elithora probably should have been doing her meetups. I am up to do scenes any days this week!)
[19:47] <jake2099> (ppups I am going to send you stuff on PA since this new IRC client is mysterious and frightening)
[19:48] <jake2099> (desc, me too! I’d be down tomorrow even)
[19:48] <desc> Elithora has been making headway in the backyard: Yanking weeds, attempting to tame the foliage, looking up different pots for plants.
[19:49] <ell> Aurelia has been trying to fix the Hollow One, whom she has named Sabrina.
[19:49] <misteranthropy> Sinon made sure that the other members of the cabal got their ‘thank you’ gifts. Blackjack received a copy of /Commentaries on the Gallic War: Annotated by Aetas, Master of Time, Acanthus of the Adamantine Arrow/. Aurelia got a tablet mocked up as a poke-dex loaded with /Tobin’s Spirit Guide/. While Elithora received a cryptic invitation to the Sanctum on some night in the near future. Other than that, the Guardian
[19:49] <misteranthropy> has been busy networking—building up a new cell-based conspiracy of government workers, doctors, etc. Primarily sleepers, but sleepwalkers or mages if he finds ones amenable.
[19:49] <ell> She has managed to get her to clean up around the house
[19:50] <ell> (and Aurelia should have had some Astral time, which we should play out at some point this week Jake)
[19:50] <ppups> (hey, what happened to mr vampire d bag who was tricked into giving sinon the mask?)
[19:51] <ppups> (did we just vanish and never ask?)
[19:51] <ppups> (shaw?)
[19:51] <desc> (jake thurs is better for me because I can conk out tonight and write up and sketch up the intro tomorrow after slacking this weekend :p)
[19:51] <misteranthropy> (i might write a short about shaw’s demise…)
[19:51] <misteranthropy> (assuming a demise is okay?)
[19:52] <ppups> (desc have u considered whether anyone cares what is better for u)
[19:52] * ppups mean mugs desc
[19:52] <desc> (they don’t but I am pushy until I get my way)
[19:52] <desc> (or fri or sat or sun or w/e)
[19:53] <desc> I wonder what peculiar mish-mash of items is going to decorate the cabal house over time.
[19:54] <ppups> (dude desc that is p cool)
[19:54] <ppups> (i like your style, wish to subscribe to your newsletter)
[19:55] <desc> (if you have Flipboard you can subscribe to the Desc Observer :3 )
[19:57] <jake2099> (sound good desc)
[19:57] <jake2099> (a demise is totally ok!)
[19:57] <jake2099> (and Tobin’s Spirit Guide, yessss)
[19:57] <misteranthropy> (that was thom’s idea)
[19:57] <misteranthropy> (that was thom’s idea)
[19:58] <misteranthropy> (props to him!)
[19:58] <ppups> (wat is tobin)
[19:58] <jake2099> (it’s a reference to Ghostbusters)
[19:58] <misteranthropy> (ghostbusters reference)
[19:58] <jake2099> (puppies u have mail)
[19:59] <thomamelas> (Tobin’s is the best.)
[20:00] <jake2099> It’s a Monday evening in July, warm and muggy – one of those nights where air conditioning feels like the absolute, guilt-free, right thing to do. What are the Cabal up to at this moment?
[20:00] <ppups> (jacob u care to gchat?)
[20:00] <jake2099> (sure thing! 1 sec)
[20:01] <thomamelas> Is currently in the libary, curled up in the comfortable chair grading the essays he assigned. Seems to go from mildly disgusted to completely distracted from moment to moment.
[20:02] <jake2099> (here’s a question I have been meaning to ask – are there summer sessions in Canada?)
[20:02] <thomamelas> (I know this one!)
[20:02] <thomamelas> (Yes.)
[20:03] <thomamelas> (Or at least there is in Vancouver.)
[20:03] <misteranthropy> Sinon is in the attic of the sanctum, watching a wall of twelve televisions on different channels on mute. Classical music—perhaps Mozart—is playing as he sips on a glass on red wine.
[20:04] <jake2099> (rad, okay!)
[20:04] <ell> Aurelia is directing Sabrina around the sanctum, instructing her on cleaning it.
[20:05] <jake2099> Has anyone noticed anything different about Sinon since he retrieved the mask? Or is this a gradual thing?
[20:05] <desc> Elithora is returning from a hike and setting a paper bag labeled “Do not touch :(” on a windowsill in the kitchen. It’s filled with fresh stinging nettle leaves if anyone looks. She’s set her gardening gloves down by the sink and is scrubbing her hands and face with pine tar soap.
[20:06] <ppups> (what’s on the televisions)
[20:07] <misteranthropy> Assuming that question is for me: His eyes are blue now, rather than brown. One of the cabal may have noticed him smile at some point—which has not happened before (iirc). His voice seems different. Before it should have been something of a flat, near-staccato. Now it is more… smooth or fluid?
[20:08] <jake2099> okay, cool. yeah, I wanted to move the clock forward a bit since we’d had a bunch of sessions following end-on-end but I didn’t want to gloss over any big changes that may have happened
[20:08] Disconnected (2013-04-09 20:08:48)
[20:09] jake2099 – Nickname is already in use.
[20:09] jake2099 – Nickname is already in use.
[20:09] <misteranthropy> (watching multiple tv channels at once fulfills a legacy oblation)
[20:10] <desc> Never mind, stinging nettles are already out of season into flower by July. Elithora is coming in from gardening, then.
[20:10] <ppups> (WHAT ARE ON THE CHANNELS I MUST KNOW)
[20:10] <ppups> (desc you are a TIME MAGE)
[20:10] <desc> (and ironically i never have any sense of what date it has been ever in the game)
[20:10] <misteranthropy> (pups: twelve different episodes of X-Files!)
[20:11] <misteranthropy> AUgust 7!
[20:11] <desc> (i have been meaning for eli to harvest and cook nettles for everyone but July is too late!)
[20:11] <1jake2099> yeah my timekeeping is loose but it’s been about seven weeks and we’re into midsummer
[20:11] * jake2099 quit (Ping timeout)
[20:11] *
1jake2099 changed nick to jake2099
[20:11] <misteranthropy> or 6th-ish
[20:12] <misteranthropy> it can be any date we want
[20:12] <misteranthropy> we just ignore the ’it’s been a week since…" or we peg the start to some arbitrary point
[20:12] <ppups> (so get them from freaking february or something)
[20:12] <jake2099> well, we don’t want consilium 3 to have happeend yet
[20:13] <jake2099> what’s four weeks after the last one?
[20:13] <ppups> (whats the point of commanding time and fate if you have to obey stuff like seasons)
[20:13] <ppups> (misteranthropy excellent excellent this is going in my notebook)
[20:14] <misteranthropy> i think i had the last consillium pegged at July 23
[20:14] <misteranthropy> but that can be moved back a month
[20:16] <ppups> (bear with us a moment)
[20:17] <desc> Date doesn’t matter to me that much, I will figure out an alternate dish for Eli to gear towards cooking everyone. She’s been checking on the garlic bulbs she planted in the backyard instead.
[20:17] <jake2099> August 6 sounds perfect actually
[20:17] <jake2099> SO MOTE IT BE
[20:18] <ell> but the end of the world
[20:18] <thomamelas> Sets down the papers in the chair, heading towards the kitchen. His right hand rubbing his left ring finger without thinking about it.
[20:19] <jake2099> Elithora’s phone rings
[20:20] <desc> Elithora swipes the call with a dripping finger and pinches it between her jaw and shoulder as she dries her hands with a dish towel. “Hello?”
[20:20] <ppups> “It’s Elithora, right?”
[20:21] <ppups> “This is Goldman. We met in Seattle?”
[20:21] <desc> There’s a pause. “Yes. Right, Goldman! This is she. What’s up?”
[20:22] <ppups> “This is going to sound strange. I’m in a jam. There’s an opportunity, too, but this isn’t necessarily something that can be done by-the-book how a consilium would direct.”
[20:23] <ppups> “I know we don’t know each other, and it’s weird for me to call you out of the blue like this, but you’ll understand soon why this is my best play.”
[20:23] <thomamelas> Pours himself some apple juice before walking back to the chair. Sitting in it and just staring out a window.
[20:23] <ppups> “Are you comfortable with a little independent action? Do you know some others who would be? How close are you to your cabal?”
[20:24] <desc> Elithora hangs up the towel and starts walking from the kitchen to the front room. “Near death experiences have a way of making one close. I think you could ask the Council about our whimsically independent actions so far. What’s the situation?”
[20:25] <ppups> “This isn’t something to handle over the phone. I’ll be in Vancouver in an hour. Can we meet? Bring whoever you like, but only people you can trust, you know?”
[20:27] <desc> "… Right. I can do that. I know a bar only attended by our type, unless this needs to be further under the radar than that.
[20:27] <ppups> “Honestly, only Sleepers would be better. Or somewhere lonely.”
[20:28] <desc> “What did you … alright. I’ll text you an address. We’ll be there in an hour.”
[20:31] <desc> Elithora pockets her phone and yells for the avengers to assemble from wherever they are in the house.
[20:31] <ell> Aurelia looks up at Eli. Sabrina follows her gaze. “What’s up in an hour?”
[20:32] <desc> “I’m not entirely sure. You remember the Seattle weekend job I mentioned? I just got a call from that BMW Mage she wants to meet up. Like, meet up way off the record.”
[20:32] <misteranthropy> Sinon comes down the stairs, passes through the library and heads to the sitting room.
[20:33] <thomamelas> Goes into the sitting room. “How way off the record?”
[20:33] <ell> “Well this is Cabal business then? Aurelia nods towards Sinon as he enters.”
[20:34] <desc> “No mages, no sleepers around. I don’t know what to make of it and she didn’t want to get into any details. I wouldn’t assume an ambush, but … I would prefer you guys come with.”
[20:34] <desc> “She said to only bring people I trust. That’d be you.”
[20:34] <ppups> (d’awwwwww :) )
[20:35] <misteranthropy> “Of course.” Sinon nods as he sits down.
[20:35] <thomamelas> Shifts a little, the smile fading from his face. You can see his game face comming on. “You know the point of an ambush is to happen in a place you would not assume one.”
[20:36] <desc> “That’s why we pick the place. Where can we meet her with no one snooping and we have the advantage?”
[20:37] <misteranthropy> “Do we want no one snooping or tdo we just want to blend?”
[20:38] <ell> Aurelia turns to Sabrina “Call me if anything happens here, Sabrina. You remember how to use the phone?”
[20:38] <desc> “She only specified no mages but if we have to nuke someone, the less people around, the better. Right?”
[20:39] <jake2099> Sabrina nods mechanically.
[20:39] <misteranthropy> Sinon looks over to Aurelia. “Have you found a way to give her a soul?” He seems genuinely curious.
[20:39] <ell> Aurelia smiles reassuringly and pats her shoulder “Good!”
[20:40] <ppups> Goldman would like to be racing toward Vancouver, but Canadians take a much more reasonable approach to speed limits than Americans, so it feels like crawling. Her fingers drum idly on the central console as she tries unsuccessfully to lose herself in the music pumping out her car stereo.
[20:40] <thomamelas> Takes off his glasses and rubs them. “So a quiet place where we are not going to be observed. I know of one. Defensible if unpleasant.”
[20:40] <ppups> (s:car:custom)
[20:40] <ppups> (s:car:custom)
[20:41] <desc> “Yeah?”
[20:42] <ell> Aurelia bites her lip and looks back towards Sinon. “I’m trying to fix her. Her soul isn’t exactly missing just… like a watch if you take all the insides out is still a watch, right?”
[20:42] <thomamelas> “Small cabin. It is going to add some travel time. It is outside the city though. Good sight lines. Used to be owned by a very paranoid mage.” Looks to Sinon to see if he has any thoughts.
[20:43] <misteranthropy> 5d10h8 (Wits + Status) Thinking of various safe houses or hideaways.
[20:43] <critical> MisterAnthropy, (Wits + Status) Thinking of various safe houses or hideaways.: 2 [5d10h8=9,4,5,4,9]
[20:44] <misteranthropy> “I might know of a few places, but I can’t guarantee that the other Guardians will be completely unaware.”
[20:45] <misteranthropy> “Other than that, I might suggest someplace entirely public. Science World?” Sinon looks toward the others. “Peopl are all too willing to ignore tourists.”
[20:46] <jake2099> If she’s coming up from I5, there’s a Guardian safehouse in White Rock to the south. They use it for moving people across the border.
[20:47] <desc> Elithora shakes her head. “Let’s alert the Guardians after we know what’s up. She was inquiring about uh, independent actions.”
[20:48] <jake2099> And yeah at this hour you could be pretty anonymous in Science World.
[20:48] <desc> “Cabin vs. Science World. I don’t know — which one sounds like we’re less likely to get swarmed by treachery?”
[20:49] <ell> Aurelia nods. “Someplace public would be good. I know a little restaurant near work that I can reserve a private table at. Also killer pad thai.”
[20:49] <thomamelas> Nods to Sinon. “His area of expertise.”
[20:50] <ppups> (Is there an expertise ranking list in betrayal)
[20:50] <ppups> (I would like to know the degree of familiarity my friends and coworkers have with the subject)
[20:50] <desc> (there should be)
[20:51] <ppups> (also, required reading b4 a third date)
[20:51] <jake2099> (agreed)
[20:52] <misteranthropy> Sinon shrugs and looks to Elithora. “It’s your friend, so your call. As long as we are careful we can make public or pirate work.”
[20:52] <misteranthropy> or private
[20:52] <jake2099> I like pirate better :D
[20:52] <ppups> (FREUDIAN SLIP)
[20:52] <misteranthropy> grrr autocorrect
[20:52] <ppups> (DO NOT TRUST THIS MOTHERFUCKER)
[20:52] <ppups> (return of soul reveals nautical tendencies of true nature)
[20:53] <misteranthropy> (strangely enough, returned soul simon is more /liberal/ of all things…)
[20:53] <jake2099> So Sinon is punting to Eli. desc, the three options are the cabin in the woods in Squamish BC (it’s a ways north of town), Science World on the east side, or the thai place downtown that Aurie knows.
[20:54] <ppups> (thats not so strange)
[20:55] <ppups> (i imagine losing one’s soul makes one ruthless, and that’s not a trait that’s super compatible with liberalism)
[20:55] <desc> “I wonder what Sun Tzu would say.” Elithora contemplates for a long moment. “He’d be hungry for Pad Thai for right now. Let’s go. If she shows up with anyone else we get ready to flip out and Aurie has to find a new restaurant.”
[20:55] <misteranthropy> (true. but you wouldn’t expect a guardian to become more lenient given more experience)
[20:55] <ppups> (yesssssssss pad thai)
[20:56] <desc> (objectively I feel like the cabin is the best paranoid choice and science world is the best Leverage choice … but our campaign somehow always comes back to noodles and restaurants and meals so iconically my hands are tied.)
[20:56] <ppups> (yesssssssssss throwing aurie’s restaurant-based social capital to the winds)
[20:56] <thomamelas> (Fair enough. Hard to break away from iconic imagery.)
[20:57] <ppups> (IRL I would be super pissed if someone risked making me find a new restaurant)
[20:57] <desc> (let me tell you how hard it is to get a reservation again after you pull out the vulgar magic in a corner booth)
[20:57] <jake2099> (hahahaha)
[20:57] <jake2099> Okay! The Thai restaurant it is! Ell, tell us about it!
[20:58] <ppups> (what good is matter magic if you cant turn a tv dinner into gourmet tastiness)
[20:58] <ell> It’s a mundane thai place downtown, private tables are upstairs
[20:59] <ell> decor is a bit kitschy
[21:00] <jake2099> kitschy yesssss
[21:00] <jake2099> Okay! You guys give Goldman the address and then head there, I assume?
[21:01] <jake2099> If there are any preparations you want to make, note them now
[21:01] <desc> Eli texts the address to Goldman and re-tells the Seattle story to the Cabal with more focus on her impressions of Goldman. She didn’t really seem like a Seer mole or anything.
[21:02] <thomamelas> Untucked his shirt and is carrying a pistol in holster in the small of his back. Has forces armor and prime armor up.
[21:02] <thomamelas> Also, the distracted air he had earlier is gone. BJ is back to the BJ you all know and love.
[21:04] <desc> Elithora counts while breathing, casting a covert Temportal Dodge on herself.
[21:04] <desc> 6d10h8
[21:04] <
critical> desc, 6d10h8: 0 [6d10h8=2,5,3,7,3,2]
[21:04] <desc> (well, if I didn’t have metagame assumptions about pups not metagaming i’d be worried now)
[21:04] <desc> (fortunately pups is wildly in love with me)
[21:04] <ppups> (how do we generally handle armor)
[21:04] <ppups> (WILDLY <3)><desc> (er about pups not PvPing)
[21:04] <misteranthropy> Sinon blends into the background as the cabal arrives at the restaurant. (He has activated his incognito presence + interconnections attainment. and prepped a mental shield beforehand.)
[21:04] <jake2099> oh you don’t need to roll, desc, you have time to prepare
[21:05] <ppups> (i mean it costs a mana a day if you keep it on all the time, right?)
[21:05] <jake2099> right, yeah
[21:05] <jake2099> otherwise it’s free for a scene
[21:05] <jake2099> I only care about rolling if it costs mana or we’re in the middle of a fight
[21:05] <ppups> so do we generally run without it unless its a sketchy sitch we have time to prepare for?
[21:05] <jake2099> it’s up to you! some people have it on 247
[21:06] <ppups> so aspensive
[21:06] <misteranthropy> (i normally assume some kind of armor everyday)
[21:06] <misteranthropy> (but it is free every <blank> days due to having access to a hallow)
[21:06] <desc> (elithora only kicks it on when she actually expects things to happen because she goes through live assuming people aren’t going to kill her)
[21:06] <ppups> (fucking a)
[21:07] <ell> Aurelia has prepped a mind shield because mind shields
[21:07] <misteranthropy> (we do need to take turns/have a schedule, but assuming no quests in the meantime there should be plenty of tass for a free armor)
[21:07] * jake2099 nods
[21:07] <ell> oh
[21:07] <desc> (we dooooo. precious mana. everyone was low by the end of the last session I think.)
[21:07] <jake2099> Yeah, next session we ought to work out a rough schedule
[21:07] <thomamelas> (Yeah…about that tass…)
[21:08] <ell> speaking of hallows
[21:08] <ell> we should start oblating and stuff
[21:08] <thomamelas> (We don’t have any stored at the moment. BJ kinda used it.)
[21:09] <ell> (a week ago)
[21:09] <jake2099> (yeah, it’s a week after BJ’s expedition)
[21:09] <misteranthropy> (which reminds me, i tried mock up a base for the badge off of some church’s window: http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/195938/searchers.jpg)
[21:10] <ppups> Placing a hand on the door of the restaurant, Goldman takes a deep breath. “Here we go,” she says to herself.
[21:10] <ppups> She pushes open the door and walks in
[21:10] <thomamelas> (BJ has to make the second half of the payment still.)
[21:10] <jake2099> (oh sweet)
[21:11] <desc> The cabal are camped down in a corner booth with steaming plates of spicy noodles everywhere on the table.
[21:11] <ppups> Scanning the restaurant for unruly black hair, she pauses for a moment, then heads upstairs.
[21:11] <ell> (can we assume to have each drawn on the hallow sometime in the past week?)
[21:11] <desc> (in our minds we look mafioso :p)
[21:11] <jake2099> (we’ll say yes, ell)
[21:13] <ppups> Seeing the four waiting for her, she smiles at Eli and waves, then grabs a seat at the table
[21:13] <ppups> Wearing an expertly-tailored grey suit, she looks fresh from a business meeting.
[21:14] <ppups> “Well, I’m Goldman. Nice to meet you all.”
[21:14] <misteranthropy> Sinon sips at his tea, having somehow already finished his Pad Kee Mao. “J.P. Morgan Chase or Citi?” He thinks to himself as the newcomer enters.
[21:15] <desc> Eli sets her fork down. “Goldman. Aurelia, Blackjack, Sinon. So what’s the cloak and dagger about?”
[21:15] <thomamelas> Is thinking, “New money.”
[21:16] <ppups> “I’ve found something. Something big. Thing is, I can’t make use of it.”
[21:16] <ppups> “You’re a mystagogue. What would you say if I told you I found an unguarded Atheneum?”
[21:17] <thomamelas> Raises an eyebrow. Doesn’t say “bullshit”. Does think it.
[21:17] <desc> Elithora peers at Goldman. “I’d say that would be of interest to a great many people. Dare I ask how you found such a thing?”
[21:18] <misteranthropy> Sinon splits his attention. He listens to Goldman while watching the strands of Fate to make sure no one in the room is connected to the conversation.
[21:18] <ell> Aurelia frowns slightly.
[21:18] <ppups> “Look, I know it sounds ridiculous.”
[21:18] <misteranthropy> 6d10h8 (One Mind Two Thoughts)
[21:18] <critical> MisterAnthropy, (One Mind Two Thoughts): 4 [6d10h8=[10,3],5,9,2,[10,2],9]
[21:19] <thomamelas> “I am not sure ridiculous covers it.”
[21:19] <misteranthropy> “Unsecured?” Sinon leans back. “Who’s is it?”
[21:19] <jake2099> Everyone in the restaurant is clean.
[21:19] <ppups> “Bear with me for a moment. I can’t go to any of my contacts in Seattle with this. I can’t get into it myself, but you could. I’m not going to tell you where to find it, or anything that would reveal the details.”
[21:20] <ppups> Goldman has to stifle a grin at the idea that this is the part of the story that’s ridiculous.
[21:20] <ppups> “At least, not until we’ve worked something out.”
[21:21] <ppups> “There’s nobody left who could plausibly claim ownership. It may be known to a few other people. I can’t be sure. Smething happened a week ago, and nobody could have known before then.”
[21:21] <ell> 9d10h8 (Telepathy)
[21:21] <
critical> Ell, (Telepathy): 4 [9d10h8=[10,9],7,5,8,3,7,9,2,7]
[21:21] <ppups> (nooooo :( )
[21:22] <ell> ppups roll resolve+gnosis
[21:22] <ell> (sorry, it’s Aurelia’s hammer)
[21:22] <misteranthropy> (if sinon had cast mind sight ahead of time he would tap her telepathy… that should make for fun shenanigans in the future!)
[21:23] <ppups> no willpower on a reaction, right?
[21:23] <jake2099> correct
[21:23] <ppups> 5d10h8 (Resolve plus Gnosis)
[21:23] <critical> ppups, (Resolve plus Gnosis): 3 [5d10h8=[10,3],5,9,5,9]
[21:24] <jake2099> oooh so close
[21:24] <jake2099> but so far
[21:24] <ppups> be pretty nuts if i beat 9 with 5
[21:24] <misteranthropy> (the fact that the guardians have a rote to ‘phone tap’ telepathy is awesome in my book)
[21:25] * ChanServ changed topic to Critical Failures Games – Delphindaes considers old things new again, starts hooking up with elderly women, “if i ain’t seen them, they’re fresh to me”
[21:25] <jake2099> (it’s so great)
[21:25] <misteranthropy> (and it can’t be detected if people forget to put up mind sight first)
[21:25] <jake2099> Aurelia sees inside Goldman’s mind!
[21:25] <misteranthropy> (which i probably shouldn’t have mentioned)
[21:26] <jake2099> (hahaha)
[21:26] <jake2099> oh shitballs I heard distant thunder
[21:26] <jake2099> if me or justin’s internets goes down it is because a tsunami has carried us away. in kansas, yes. this happens.
[21:26] <jake2099> tsunami is actually an ancient cherokee word
[21:27] <misteranthropy> (but i replaced all my gutters and windows last year, so i shouldn’t flood on the main floor this year)
[21:27] <jake2099> (oh god D: )
[21:29] <ell> pups can just tell me
[21:29] <ell> I’m only reading surface thoughts
[21:30] <ppups> okay well hmmm
[21:30] <ppups> i’d liek to make it juicy without completely revealing
[21:30] <ppups> give me a moment
[21:33] <ppups>
[21:33] <ppups> enough?
[21:33] <jake2099> (oooh yes)
[21:33] <jake2099> (and that looks good, ppups!)
[21:33] <misteranthropy> (“You will need to provide your own clothing. Please keep in mind that you will have recently participated in a battle and been thrown in a dungeon, so you will not be wearing your nicest furs.”)
[21:33] <misteranthropy> (and i sooo want to see elysium!)
[21:34] <thomamelas> (This summer has a ton of Science Fiction comming.)
[21:34] <ppups> (noooo spoilers)
[21:35] <ppups> (also I can’t get to thom’s link)
[21:35] <ell> Aurelia covers a gasp with her hand. “What happened to the Seattle Mysterium?”
[21:35] <ppups> (yesss I did it)
[21:35] <ppups> “Oh, shit.”
[21:35] <ppups> “You’re a mind mage?”
[21:36] <ell> Aurelia just says yes, telepathically
[21:37] <desc> Elithora looks from Aurelia to Goldman. “Pardon me?”
[21:37] <ppups> “Well, fuck. My compliments, most people don’t get through for some reason. Look, it’s not just the Mysterium, and I had nothing to do with it.”
[21:37] <misteranthropy> Sinon gives Goldman a somewhat sympathetic look. “You’re recently awakened?”
[21:38] <ppups> She’s shocked. Her smile’s almost shy.
[21:38] <ppups> “Well, ummm… yes, about a year now. How could you tell?”
[21:39] <ppups> She looks herself over self-consciously.
[21:39] <misteranthropy> Sinon smilles. “When you’ve played the game long enough, you recognize the newer players.”
[21:40] <thomamelas> “It is not just the Mysterium. I think perhaps you should explain what happened.” Taking off his glasses to polish them.
[21:41] <ppups> “Okay, fine. Just keep in mind that the Atheneum’s open. There’s going to be a lot of attention paid to Seattle, I’m sure, but there’s a window before the news breaks.”
[21:42] <ppups> “I was out of town for 2 weeks. I still do a lot of Sleeper work, and it involves some travel.”
[21:43] <ppups> “I got back last Thursday, and by Friday I’d started to get concerned. I couldn’t raise any of my Awakened contacts.”
[21:43] <desc> Elithora leans back and listens. Wheels are turning.
[21:44] <ell> Aurelia looks very concerned
[21:44] <ppups> “I didn’t know anybody personally, yet. So far Awakened life has been a little like a job for me. People I knew were more coworkers than friends. But Fresh was in his office. You remember Fresh?” This last to Elithora.
[21:45] <desc> “Sure.”
[21:45] <misteranthropy> Sinon begins mentally running through his list of contacts that might be able to help smuggle items/people across the border while listening to the Silver Ladder mage.
[21:46] <ppups> “He was just slumped down in his chair. He’d been dead for three days. I know I’m supposed to be at home with the dead and all, but that’s not pleasant for anybody. I called the cops and got the hell out.”
[21:46] <ell> Aurelia looks practically terrified. “The entire Seattle consilium?”
[21:47] <thomamelas> “Were you able to contact anyone? Do you know what killed him?” His cabal mates probebly can pick up on barely contained anger from him.
[21:47] <ppups> Goldman looks Aurelia in the eye, and says with a flat voice, “Every mage I’
[21:47] <ppups> ve found in Seattle died Tuesday night.”
[21:48] <ppups> To BJ, “No. And neither did he. I was raising ghosts for 2 days. I didn’t know that many people, but my contacts did.”
[21:49] <ppups> “They all died during normal activities. What Sleepers would call ‘natural causes.’ I was only able to track down about a third of the consilium. Thirty-two mages.”
[21:49] <ell> Aurelia starts crying
[21:50] <desc> “So something — we don’t know what — blotted out the pentacle population of Seattle. They’re either dead or gone into the ether?”
[21:51] <misteranthropy> Sinon looks at Goldman with genuine sympathy. “So. We need to ensure that the 32 are cared for, that the Athenaeum is secured and that whatever catastrophe hit Seattle does not spread.”
[21:52] <ppups> “I’m no sociopath. I knew some of these people, and I’m not thrilled that they died. More than that, I’m a little fucking terrified that it will happen to me. I’m working on plans to get the hell out of Seattle for good. A good ninety percent of my contacts are dead or gone, and I’m feeling pretty vulnerable. I wasn’t kidding around about the Atheneum, but I’m not trying to pull a score
[21:52] <ppups> off out of greed here. I need contacts and status.”
[21:52] <ell> Aurelia tries to compose herself “We need to go there. We need to recover everything. Now. We can’t wait for whatever jackals are are going to find the Athenaeum. We need to tell Minerva.”
[21:53] <ppups> “Look. I don’t know what the situation is in Vancouver, but the Awakened leadership of Seattle was nothing to be proud of.”
[21:53] <ell> Aurelia gets out her phone, then thinks better of it.
[21:53] <ppups> “Something’s up, and taking orders from high-school cliques with high-school drama isn’t the way to deal with things.”
[21:54] <thomamelas> Takes a deep breath and puts his anger under control. “You should do that. I will contact Traceur. See who we can spare to provide protection.”
[21:55] <desc> Elithora looks to her teammates. “Even on a bad day the Seers aren’t that methodical. They would have slipped up somewhere. Banishers would have just set things on fire and left a bunch of Chick tracts.”
[21:56] <ell> She begins chanting in high speech, words of understanding and communion.
[21:56] <desc> Elithora fishes her purse out of her phone. “Aurie’s right. We can’t leave their holdings unprotected and we also can’t walk straight into a trap.”
[21:56] <misteranthropy> Sinon thinks Eli underestimates the Seers, but feels that a million of acts of hubris could have caused this.
[21:56] <ppups> Goldman rubs her temples. “You think this is a trap? Somebody has the power to kill every mage in Seattle and they’re going to lay a trap for us? What the hell would be the point?”
[21:57] <thomamelas> “To finish the job. To kill more Mages.”
[21:57] <thomamelas> Making an occult
int check to see if anything comes to mind about this.
[21:57] <desc> “Well 32 other mages obviously stepped on some landmine so I image four … five more wouldn’t be too tough to manage.”
[21:57] <thomamelas> 6d10h8
[21:57] <critical> thomamelas, 6d10h8: 4 [6d10h8=2,8,9,[10,1],3,8]
[21:57] <ppups> “Why not just repeat whatever the hell they did in Seattle here? Tomorrow? hell, why not last Wednesday? If this is a fight, we’ve already lost.”
[21:58] <ell> 10d10h8 (Telepathy rote, -4 sympathetic, +2 words of power +3WP)
[21:58] <
critical> Ell, (Telepathy rote, 4 sympathetic, 2 words of power +3WP): 4 [10d10h8=9,3,5,1,[10,3],9,2,6,7,9]
[21:58] <jake2099> Thom, you can confidently say that a spell capable of doing this would be an Imperial spell.
[21:59] <ppups> “I’ll go to the consilium with this. Vancouver’s by far the nearest city with an Awakened community, and they need to be told. But I came to you because you seemed like maybe you had a healthy attitude when last we met. You didn’t buy into the standard bullshit, but you weren’t enraged by it either. I was hoping that you would be a little bit practical about this.”
[21:59] <thomamelas> “Because there may very well be limits for how often they can do it. It would be archmaster level magic. For all we know it could require more mana then Seattle generates daily.”
[22:00] <misteranthropy> “Lost? No.” Sinon shakes his head. “We /will/ secure the Athenaeum. We /will/ find what caused this and make /it/ pay. We will not tire, we will not falter, we will not fail.”
[22:00] <ppups> “We can get into the Atheneum before anyone else. I don’t know what’s there, but it’s got to be worth something.”
[22:00] <ppups> She stops, listening to Sinon.
[22:00] <ppups> “See, this is what I’m saying. But it should be us.”
[22:01] <ppups> “Do you really think a consilium is the right way to deal with this? Meetings, and committees? Guardians against Libertines?”
[22:02] <thomamelas> “How are you proposing we move an entire Atheneum with anything resembling speed?”
[22:02] <desc> “I think that at least giving our society a chance to protect itself should be considered as possibly as worthwhile as us looting your city for you, if that’s what you’re asking.”
[22:03] <ppups> “I don’t even know what’s in the thing! I assume some of it’s more important than the rest.”
[22:03] <ppups> She throws up her hands at Elithora’s comment
[22:03] <ell> Aurelia shakes her head. “No, it will be US. It is our Athenaeum, not yours, not the Guardians, not the Libertines. Care must be taken. I don’t know what is stored in the Seattle Athenaeum, but I can say not all of it will be safe for the uninitiated. We need the rest of the order.”
[22:04] <ppups> “Alright, if you see it as looting, than the conversation’s over. You’re holding all the cards. If you want to let the big dogs call the shots, I can’t stop you.”
[22:04] <ppups> “Not that I’d particularly want to try. God, I’m so tired.”
[22:04] <ell> (Did Aurelia get through to Minerva?)
[22:05] <jake2099> let me see….
[22:05] <jake2099> 1d100
[22:05] <thomamelas> Looks to Aurelia. “If you do not mind, I am going to ask for Arrow assistance.”
[22:05] <
critical> jake2099, 1d100: 43 [1d100=43]
[22:05] <jake2099> Yes!
[22:05] <misteranthropy> Sinon looks over at Aurelia. “You realize that if you inform MInerva, I will have to contact Sacerdote, yes?”
[22:06] <ell> Aurelia turns on Sinon, her face turning to rage. “You will do no such thing.”
[22:06] <ppups> “Well, do me a favor and try to get me thrown into a cabal with people somewhat competent. This was my last card, and I’m not lookign forward to entering Mage life all over again. I’m going to get some food.”
[22:06] <ppups> She stands up as the cabal starts to argue.
[22:07] <jake2099> (haha, the match has been lit!)
[22:07] <thomamelas> “May I make a suggestion that may allow both of you to achive what you wish?”
[22:08] <misteranthropy> Sinon looks at Blackjack.
[22:08] <misteranthropy> (Sinon would honestly prefer to handle things in the cabal and explain things to the orders later)
[22:09] <thomamelas> “The Mysterium focuses on recovering the Athemem. The Arrow provides protection. The Guardians focus on finding out who did this and how.”
[22:10] <ppups> (yessssss <3><ppups> (ooc I’m fine eihter way)
[22:12] <misteranthropy> "I can agree to this on one condition
-that we inform them /after/ we are en-route." Sinon shifts in his seat. “If I am given an order, I will be bound by oath to follow it but if we give Sacerdote limited options…”
[22:13] <thomamelas> “Better to ask forgiveness then permission. I think we can all live with that. I just do not see how all of us could move an entire Athenaeum on our own. Not without risking losing the lot of it to vultures.” Shrugs at them.
[22:13] <ell> Aurelia nods tautly. “Fine.”
[22:14] <desc> Elithora pinches the bridge of her nose and then looks at Aurelia. “We have to tell Minerva something or she’ll have us flayed. We can tell her after we’re on the way and hope we don’t end up restacking magazines the rest of our lives.”
[22:14] <ppups> Goldman returns to the table with some spicy soup
[22:14] <ell> “Yes”
[22:14] <ppups> She’s clearly frustrated but begins to eat silently.
[22:15] <ell> (jake IM capable?)
[22:16] <thomamelas> “Sinon, does it help if you are not actually near by when Minevera is contacted?”
[22:16] <jake2099> (did you get my reply, ell?)
[22:16] <jake2099> (I got what you sent)
[22:19] <misteranthropy> Sinon shakes his head. “You have to understand the political situation here. The balance between the Free Council & Mysterium and the Guardians & the Arrow is precarious at best. Any move we make could be interpreted as a choosing of sides.”
[22:20] <misteranthropy> “When we do choose to push the consillium in one direction or the other it will need to be /our/ choice. /All/ of us.”
[22:21] <misteranthropy> Sinon looks at each of the others in turn.
[22:21] <ell> Aurelia holds her head. “Let’s not waste time. This is more important than politics. People are dying!”
[22:22] <misteranthropy> “Which is why I recommended we go now and inform on the way!” Sinon stands up and begins heading toward the door.
[22:23] <thomamelas> Gets up and follows along. Needs to make a stop at his car.
[22:23] <ppups> “Ummmmm… do you guys want me along?” Goldman’s clearly not calm, but she’s making an effort.
[22:24] <desc> “You’re the only one who knows where it is and you must have an interesting Fate to be alive right now through sheer happenstance. So yes.”
[22:24] <desc> 4d10h8
[22:24] <critical> desc, 4d10h8: 2 [4d10h8=8,6,4,9]
[22:24] <desc> Fate: The waiter conveniently brings the check at precisely this moment so we can pay and leave in one dramatic swoop.
[22:24] <jake2099> Perfect!
[22:24] <ppups> (hee hee)
[22:26] <misteranthropy> (nice!)
[22:26] <desc> Eli sighs to Blackjack. “If I ever tell you in the future, ‘Hey, you won’t need to bring one of your giant elephant guns this time,’ just … don’t listen to me.”
[22:27] <thomamelas> “I would not listen anyway.” Is going to take his car.
[22:27] <jake2099> Who is going in what car?
[22:29] <ppups> Goldman’s sort of going with the flow at this point. Feels like she made her play and it didn’t take.
[22:30] <desc> We should split into two cars. I don’t know if arrangement really matters?
[22:31] <jake2099> it might!
[22:31] <desc> (she has a cabal of people who don’t know her driving across the border and none of us handed her over to people in skull masks so I’d say her plan at least somewhat worked)
[22:32] <jake2099> (also splitting into two cars is some serious Life and Matter magic hahaha)
[22:32] <ell> (I don’t know what her plan was)
[22:32] <thomamelas> (Get us to loot it as a way of buying into our cabal.)
[22:32] <desc> (get us to seattle generally? maybe there was more to it and I missed it in the atheneum hubbub)
[22:32] <misteranthropy> (nods)
[22:33] <desc> Eli will go with BJ if he’s driving his car then.
[22:33] <desc> Goldman should go with us.
[22:33] <thomamelas> Has two seats. So….
[22:34] <misteranthropy> …that would mean aurelia, simon and goldman… and the awkward silences, recriminations, etc
[22:34] <ppups> no sinon’s cool
[22:34] <desc> Oh it’s a roadster? I forgot .. you did mention the make and model before. Alright, Goldman goes with me since we’re “pals.” Sinon, you want to ride with us?
[22:34] <ppups> we’ll find a way to get errybody talking again
[22:34] <ppups> ina 1hr drive
[22:34] <misteranthropy> goldman might think that
[22:34] <desc> Aurie could ride with BJ and then she has to talk to Minerva about what’s going on instead of Eli. :p
[22:34] <ppups> she is nvr wrong
[22:34] <ppups> lrn dis now pls
[22:35] <misteranthropy> sinon and aurelia are a weird combo of too similar/different to get along for too long
[22:36] <ppups> (wrt plans she doesn’t care too much about looting the cabal she was just hoping not to start over as low man on totum pole, particularly under square fussy useless vancouver leadership)
[22:36] <jake2099> what they need is a lovable K-9 detective to bring them together
[22:36] * MisterAnthropy nods
[22:36] <ppups> jake2099 what are you trying to say
[22:36] <misteranthropy> where is the hooch for our turner?
[22:36] <jake2099> brb statting him up now
[22:36] <ppups> (ugh another brain fart looting the atheneum)
[22:36] <thomamelas> (Would like to point out that this is the second time Hooch has been referenced. eyes Jacob)
[22:37] <desc> otherwise BJ rides dolo and the four of us tootle along. It’s all the same to me.
[22:37] <ppups> (looting the cabal would be difficult and also financially unexciting)
[22:37] <jake2099> (it’s the sword of Damocles I dangle over the chronicle)
[22:37] <jake2099> (dripping stinky drool everywhere)
[22:38] <ppups> Goldman would feel bad about someone riding solo and offer to tag along
[22:38] <ell> Aurelia will keep BJ company and also smooth over whatever highly illegal shit he’s smuggling this time
[22:38] <ppups> hahahahaha
[22:38] <ppups> (BJ can’t drive 55)
[22:38] <jake2099> The five of you pull away from the Thai restaurant and head west toward Highway 99.
[22:38] <ppups> (somebody has gmaps open)
[22:39] <jake2099> Highway 99 (which totes runs right by where the Sanctum is) goes SE along the coast until it becomes Interstate 5, which shoots straight down to Seattle.
[22:39] <jake2099> (AUTHENTIC)
[22:39] <thomamelas> Will deal with the border crossing like he deals with all of them. By casting invisibility on the contents of his trunk. Smuggling the easy way.
[22:39] <jake2099> That’s handy!
[22:40] <ppups> (oops this time there is paradox, bj must escape from RMCP)
[22:40] <ppups> (so goldman is going to ask a bunch of questions about vancouver and awakened society)
[22:40] <ppups> (i assume we want that to be off-camera?)
[22:41] <jake2099> (you guys can play it out if you want! it’s all good in the hood!)
[22:41] <jake2099> But before we go for the night
[22:41] <jake2099> 45 minutes after hitting the highway, you guys arrive at the US Border Crossing.
[22:42] <thomamelas> Has pulled over before hand and cast invisibility on the contents of his trunk.
[22:42] <jake2099> (ok! knowing it’s coming, we’ll assume you’re able to get through without problems)
[22:43] <ppups> (hey aurelia can you see this)
[22:43] <desc> (does sinon have twenty MP5s or anything? I don’t feel like the other car has anything noteworthy unless Goldman is RIDING DURTY)
[22:43] <ppups> (okay can you see it now)
[22:43] <ppups> (can you see it now? GOOD)
[22:43] <jake2099> As your cars wait patiently in line (there’s about five or six ahead of you waiting to get through) you see two men in suits get into the frontmost car, which moves through the gate and into the US.
[22:43] <jake2099> You, of course, recognize these two.
[22:43] <misteranthropy> (Sinon tends to carry smaller arms than Blackjack.)
[22:44] <ppups> (Goldman is so square she doesn’t know what that means)
[22:44] <misteranthropy> “Pinkerton. Doolittle.”
[22:44] <desc> (I figured an mp5 was a smaller arm than bj carries :p)
[22:44] <jake2099> And you’ve got fifteen minutes before it’s your turn through the checkpoint.
[22:44] <desc> “Are you kidding me.”
[22:44] <jake2099> That’s where we’ll leave it!
[22:44] <misteranthropy> “Fantastic.”
[22:44] <ppups> hahahaha
[22:44] <ppups> those motherFUCKERS
[22:44] <thomamelas> (BJ wouldn’t carry an MP5. Way too hard to get without a goverment caring about it.)
[22:45] <ppups> (dude i’ll make u one)
[22:45] <jake2099> (but it’s the cheapest gun in counterstrike!)
[22:45] <ppups> (np np
[22:45] <ppups> )
[22:45] <desc> (they’re always one step ahead of us, meddling!)
[22:45] <misteranthropy> (we’ll get them someday!)
[22:45] <ppups> (just give me a moment with my character sheet and a pencil…)
[22:45] <ell> oooh
[22:46] <ell> Aurelia is going to call someone
[22:46] <jake2099> ooooh, ok
[22:46] <thomamelas> (There are guns the ATF doesn’t care much about. And there are guns whose posession is legal but likely to get you some attention.)
[22:46] <misteranthropy> (it’ll involve the name of like… a dinosaur jr album or something)
[22:46] <ell> manip
subterfuge+alliescbsa
[22:46] <ell> 11d10h8
[22:46] <+critical> Ell, 11d10h8: 5 [11d10h8=5,[10,5],6,8,7,8,6,1,3,9,9]
[22:46] <misteranthropy> (NICE)
[22:46] <ell> yeah they’re now on a terror watchlist
[22:46] <jake2099> AHAHAHAHAHA
[22:46] <thomamelas> (Nice!)
[22:46] <desc> omg
[22:46] <desc> dis chik
[22:46] <ppups> uhhh
[22:47] <ppups> who have i signed up with here

Raw Log - Session 021

At the Edge of All Things jacobkosh